• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marriage and baptism Lookups Please - James Green & Mary Ann Lowe 1840's

J

jimward

James Green married Mary Ann Lowe on about 5 Oct. 1840, and then had at least 3 children: Thomas, born 8 jan. 1845, James born c. 1848, and John born May 1849. Other children may exist and died before the 1851 or 61 census.

I should note that I am not 100% sure this is my family, as what I am going on is information from my John Green's 2 marriages and census records saying he was born about 1850 in Birmingham and his father was James Green, a beer retailer on the 1870 marriage record, and an Innkeeper on the 1875 marriage record.

Thanks in advance,
Jim Ward
Cobble Hill, BC, Canada

the marriage was 5 oct 1840 at st. martins. here are the details

james green. full age. bachelor. cotton spinner. gt. hampton street. father - john green. felt maker
mary ann lowe. full age. spinster. newtown row . paul lowe . candlestick maker

witnesses were john green and esther lowe.

i will look for baptisms but there are loads of greens so a bit difficult.

i have just realised probably wrong family so i presume you dont want the baptisms then.

the marriage was 5 oct 1840 at st. martins. here are the details

james green. full age. bachelor. cotton spinner. gt. hampton street. father - john green. felt maker
mary ann lowe. full age. spinster. newtown row . paul lowe . candlestick maker

witnesses were john green and esther lowe.

i will look for baptisms but there are loads of greens so a bit difficult.

i have just realised probably wrong family so i presume you dont want the baptisms then.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. This is the correct James who was married to Mary Ann Lowe (it's just that I am not sure it is the correct parents for my John Green). I would still like any baptisms of this James's children, as I have not been able to find any other John Green's with a father James and born about 1850 in Birmingham. Jim...

okay, ive found the baptism of thomas green on 15th sep 1845 born 8 jan 1845 son of james and mary ann green. marston lane. policeman

ive looked up to 1856 and not found any other children baptised here for this couple. maybe they were baptised elsewhere??

Thanks, you are likely correct. They must have moved after their son Thomas was baptised. The son John of theirs was born at Barker Street, Birmingham in May 1849. I do not know the areas over there, so I now assume this is in another area of town?

I appreciate your efforts.
Take care,
Jim Ward, Cobble Hill, BC, Canada.

I have just found a John Green, baptised at St. Martins, 24 Dec 1849, with parents James and Maria [maybe a typo] on LDS family search. Could you please check that one for proper transcription?
Thanks.
Jim...

okay, ive found the baptism of thomas green on 15th sep 1845 born 8 jan 1845 son of james and mary ann green. marston lane. policeman

ive looked up to 1856 and not found any other children baptised here for this couple. maybe they were baptised elsewhere??

I have just found a John Green, baptised at St. Martins, 24 Dec 1849, with parents James and Maria [maybe a typo] on LDS family search. Could you please check that one for proper transcription?
Thanks.
Jim...​

hi jim, i did notice that one but didnt think they were yours, there were actually 2 that day.

emily and john, (no birth dates) with parents james and maria. sheep street. rule maker

Hi Shera,
Thanks, it was not a typo then. I was hoping it was.
Take care,
Jim...

You will note James Green was policeman ...he joined on 1 Jan 1840 so why would he be a cotton spinner later in 1840 at marriage? I am also researching this family and following his son Thomas who became a policeman

Back