• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Market Street

izzy eckerslike

master brummie
Has anyone got an old photo of Market street? it was very short and ran off Upper Dean St , it was the rear of premises fronting on to Jamaica Row. I tried a search but no luck so far.

I used to visit a coin shop in 1961 which was up some rickety exterior stairs right in the middle of all the hubbub of porters barrows & vehicles all trying to load up, I think it was on or near the corner with Upper dean St but got demolished soon after and the shop moved to Broad Street

There’s a photo on the thread here posted by a Radiorails- post #2. Viv.

That appears to be a different Market street altogether, definitely not in Digbeth, here is a map shown to me by Mike Portlock on another forum, you can see Market street runs off Upper Dean St and is the rear of premises in Jamaica row

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
hi izzy i will check my photo files for you and post if i have one of market st off upper dean st

lyn

izzy further to last photo ive just found the same shot but with info so yes this is your market st although the first photo i posted is much sharper

lynCity Market Street.jpg

Thank you Astoness, I guess it must be the right one but presumably taken when the market staff had gone home or maybe on a Sunday. I can't remember the buildings other than the part where I visited the coin shop and those wooden stairs

Last edited:
It wasn’t marked on the 1890 OS, so must have been adopted after that date. Viv.
F782638A-CEAC-42F2-A720-B6EBED63D721.jpeg

Last edited:
Also before the meat market moved to Bradford street, I think that street was probably used as a morning traffic overflow from the usual heaving Jamaica row, particularly as those buildings spanned both streets with doors both ends

does anyone know the name of the pub marked on the map...it sat between market st and jamaica row..it actually looks as though the pub may have had two entrances

lyn

At one time it was the Criterion, but by 1950, which would be nearer the time of Izzy's visits , it was the Board Vaults.
With regard to photos, I did take some around 1970, and thought I had put on my 1969 thread, but seems I was wrong. So will sort out and post

map c1889 shwing market st.jpgmap c1950 showing market st.jpg

thanks mike...look forward to the photos..just noticed there was another pub 2 door away next to the warehouse...

lyn

Below are a series of photographs I took around 1970 of Market St. The numbers I quote can be seen by hovering over the picture. Also a map showing approximately where the photos covered in the street marked with colours. All but one (no 23, marked on map in yellow) are of the North east side of the street, which is on the right of the map. The numbering goes up consecutively from Bromsgrove St (at the bottom of the map). The building marked with an 8 is no 8 Market St, and is the fruit stores of J.B.White & Co,, which can be seen on close examination in photo no 20. I think that the coin shop mentioned would be no 5A, Format Coins & Medals, coin & medal dealers. I think that would make it either the centre or right hand unit in the block on photo number 18.
For photo no 24. the buildings had been demolished, or bombed, and it just shows the back of Jamaica Row
For ease of loading I have divided them into two posts

map c1950market st showing approx. areas covered by photographs.jpg18. market st towards Bromsgrove st.jpg19. market st. to right of Brook st Vaults.jpg20. market st . back Brooks Vaults.jpg

Those buildings are four storeys high in the last photo. Would this have been commercial or domestic property ? (Sorry, I don’t get any info when I hover. It’s an iPad thing). Viv.

Back