• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Thank you Grea and apologies to everyone if I've contradicted one of the protocols, but as an internet incompetent I'm not sure what I should be doing

hi bullring boy just to clear this up it is perfectly fine to post about our memories of yesteryear on open forum...thats what we are here for but if you wish to swap personal contact details ie telephone numbers and email addresses with another member for the sake of your privacy we always suggest that you contact the member via our private message system which you can find by clicking on the envelope top right of the main page..these messages remain private between yourself and the recipient...enjoy

lyn

Hi Astoness,

Many thanks for information and my sincere apologies if I've broken the protocols. As an internet incompetent I'm trying to navigate my way round the site, and to come across a long-lost family member was a bit overwhelming. Thanks again for all your help and advice.

It is good that both of you have met here and I am sure the Mods will not 'kick you both up the bracket'. :laughing:
However PM's are the better way forward and you can make more personal comments using that system.

It is good that both of you have met here and I am sure the Mods will not 'kick you both up the bracket'. :laughing:
However PM's are the better way forward and you can make more personal comments using that system.
Yes, a very pleasant surprise.

hi bullring boy just to clear this up it is perfectly fine to post about our memories of yesteryear on open forum...thats what we are here for but if you wish to swap personal contact details ie telephone numbers and email addresses with another member for the sake of your privacy we always suggest that you contact the member via our private message system which you can find by clicking on the envelope top right of the main page..these messages remain private between yourself and the recipient...enjoy

lyn
Lyn, I was unsure if we should have continued to comment on someone else’s post so I suggested pm. I suppose I should have started a new post so everyone could have enjoyed the content. Sorry for the confusion G

My memory of the market was going down there on a Saturday with my mom for cockle and wilks from the fish monger and they was sold by the 1/2 or the quarter pint .
And from there to the butcher for the Sunday jont and a 1/4 of scratchings to eat on the 3 mile walk home .

What wonderful memories of the Market hall I have, the lady at the entrance shouting Andykaria which were made of brown paper OK in the dry but when wet going up the bus stairs the bottom used to fall out and a pound of mussels whelks and shrimps would scatter on the bus platform , snarls from the conductress.
The big bomb , the cafe just inside the entrance where we drank Tizer, next door the pet shop with Puppies in the window with a crowd of kids begging mom to buy one, the smell of fish and the noise of the stallholders shouting at us to buy there offerings.
Ah memories and the black and white pictures in my mind Magic.

What wonderful memories of the Market hall I have, the lady at the entrance shouting Andykaria which were made of brown paper OK in the dry but when wet going up the bus stairs the bottom used to fall out and a pound of mussels whelks and shrimps would scatter on the bus platform , snarls from the conductress.
The big bomb , the cafe just inside the entrance where we drank Tizer, next door the pet shop with Puppies in the window with a crowd of kids begging mom to buy one, the smell of fish and the noise of the stallholders shouting at us to buy there offerings.
Ah memories and the black and white pictures in my mind Magic.
of a sat i would buy 2 pound of cooked whelks and mussles. and chomp them on the way home. stinking out the bus. lol

Don’t think this image is on this thread. The final curtain for the Market Hall in 1961.

It’s from a film made by the South Birmingham Cine Society (Eric Lynex, Dr Roy Ashley, Mr Bob Marshall were some involved in making the film and the commentary was written by Miss Dorothy McCulla). It was first shown in March 1979.

Maybe we have a link to this film somewhere ? Viv.F4AE7A88-E48B-4846-9D97-451894982E69.jpeg

I don't think I want to see that - the photograph is bad enough. Of all my memories of the city centre in my childhood, the Market Hall is still the most vivid with the Bull Ring.

Maurice :cold_sweat:

On a par with the infamous destruction of The Euston Arch in London. Anyone with a modicum of heritage and foresight could have Incorporated that part in the re-development of the Bull Ring.
Is Birmingham trying to ape Manchester and other cities in glass structures and short term buildings I wonder.
The Town Hall - in my view the epitome of historic Birmingham - is now surrounded by glass boxes of varying descriptions. Brick paths and paved areas are sterile, little signs of natural things such as trees, grass etc. No wonder the pedestrianised New Street seems popular at least there are trees for shade and a reminder that a natural world exists beyond the commerce.

If you look at most cities with a high level of retained heritage buildings, its because they at some stage in their past suffered a sudden and dramatic economic downturn. Industry and as a consequent the people left in their droves, leaving all for the old infrastructure as it was. No new developments meant no space needed to be created. The building that we now see as heritage were in the main left to fall into disrepair.

This pattern repeats itself all over the UK and the continent. In Cornwall, the bottom fell out of the tin market leaving all of the historic mine sites we know and love today. In the Peak District all the millstones scattered in the landscape are there because of a sudden economic downturn and all those beautiful stone barns are there due to changing farming methods.

The city of Bruges lost its harbour and with it its trade and livelihood. The buildings we now love were left to fall into disuse, which ironically, was their saviour.

I am deeply involved in heritage and the perseveration of historic buildings and don’t like to see them go. But heritage value arises out of rarity. If they were common, the curiosity of the passer-by would be eroded away by their familiarity.

Back