• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Oh, the memories of the old market hall are flooding back! As I was born in the war, I sadly don't recall it in it's complete state but the photos show a magnificent structure that any city in the world should be proud of.

I remember a large bomb that was situated inside the market and we'd sit astride it. To us, it seemed massive. Was it one that failed to go off I wonder? I also recall a pet stall with rabbits and puppies for sale.

Oh, the memories of the old market hall are flooding back! As I was born in the war, I sadly don't recall it in it's complete state but the photos show a magnificent structure that any city in the world should be proud of.

I remember a large bomb that was situated inside the market and we'd sit astride it. To us, it seemed massive. Was it one that failed to go off I wonder? I also recall a pet stall with rabbits and puppies for sale.

Hello Fireman Sam. Yes the Market Hall and it's whole story is magnificent. If you have not already, look up the whole story of the Market Hall, the meat market slaughter house and other markets, the fountain, the clock, Nelson and life in general around the Market Hall. "Magnificent". There are others on this site that have memories and knowledge that are unbelievable but I believe that I am correct in saying that the bomb that you sat astride in the Market Hall had failed to explode but was made safe :) Lurchphoic

Regarding the bomb. In my fuzzy memory I think the bomb was hollow with a slot for donations for maybe restoration of some sort. I know that there was at one time a sea mine by The Hall of remembrance

Whoops again, trying to correct the capital R.
I think the "Money Box Mine" was to help support families of those lost at sea.
But as I would have been 3 or 4 I may be right off the mark.
Cheers Tim

Hello. The file names I have for these pics are: Pic 1. An unexploded bomb land on RG Boardman and Co in Summer Row, 1942. Pic 2. The FAILDED WWII bomb was used by Birmingham City Council as a collection box for the Lord Mayors Appeal fund. Lurchphoic.

Whoops again, trying to correct the capital R.
I think the "Money Box Mine" was to help support families of those lost at sea.
But as I would have been 3 or 4 I may be right off the mark.
Cheers Tim
Sea_Mine_at_The_Hythe_Maldon_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1342230.jpg

You are correct Tim. These old mines were sited in many places for charitable collections. They are still to be seen in many coastal towns.
As far as I know different maritime charities had them such as the RNLI and merchant seamen's benevolent funds.

PLEASE SEE POST 169
Hi all & Grea. Tommy's Market Hall & Markets, book was completed a couple of weeks ago, he is very pleased with it. I have just completed the DVD and dare I say, the film is better than the
book :) Grea, your DVD will be in the post tomorrow morning, thanks for your help. This DVD is for Tommy, if you want some slight changes, it is no problem, let me know.

Now ........ In the event of someone, some day falling upon this page, I have uploaded a couple of pic that when seen, someone may have better and will let me know.

Thank you all for your help. PhilC.

Re-post due to slightly going away from the Market Hall. Really hoping that one day, some one will read my post and just might have the pics I need. With respect, Lurchphoic.

Hi Viv,
Here is a photograph to be what i beleive o be the first market in 1835
And accomodated 600 stalls for thsale of flowers fruit and veg poultry and fish
Please se the enclosed pic,
Alan,, Astonian,,

Attachments

• ScanImage006.jpg
    ScanImage006.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 37
Thanks Alan. Your statistics on the Smithfield Fruit and Veg thread tell us that many properties on Bell Street, Phillips Street and Worcester Street disappeared after Samuel Bradford's survey in 1750. That would be for the building of the Market Hall. There were long negotiations by the Commissioners to acquire the properties. They were acquired by mid-1831.

But two shop owners on the old site demanded high prices, so two houses with shop fronts were added to the corners of the Market Hall at the Bull Ring end as an exchange or for sale to raise money to buy the two old shops. Following these delays, in 1833 Charles Edge's plans for the building were finally approved.

Viv.

It as been on before Lyn, I down loaded it way back and put it in my 'possible painting' file (it is still there) , but multiple entries are better than no entries at all. Eric

thanks eric i was not sure...as you say better to have multiples rather than miss a good photo

lyn

Most of those pics are a bit before my time but they still stir memories of shopping with my mother.

Back