• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

I used to go when it had a roof on in the late 30's. We lived in Sheldon and our Mom used to take us to see our Nan who lived in Queens Road Aston. Cannot remember whether we caught a tram or trolley bus into town, but we always called at the Market Hall on the way to Martineau Street to catch the 3X tram, she would buy us a plate of Mussels, we loved them. Eric

Yeah...the Market Hall...of forever memory. No roof ever for most of us and yes, little plates of whelks...a good chew. Hmmm., sorry, I loved them. Gone but not forgotten and after saying that...it was an ugly monolithic building; roof or not. Missed now because it was ours. A style anomaly perhaps tied to Christ Church in Victoria Square which was disliked by folks of the day seemingly and out of place where it was also.
These places still haunt us though...as they should...after all, they were all, ours. If, as I believe, Charles Dickens stayed at The Swan; one could have pictured him walking down Worcester Street from Swan Passage and climbing the curving staircase into the Market Hall to enjoy a plate of whelks. Maybe we had something in common.

Last edited:
Back