• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marion irene roberts family

Mama

Brummie babby
Looking for any information on my moms family. We lived on sutherland st, maybe 60s to 70s

Moved to names section. To help get some results further details would b helpful, together with what you are looking for

Welcome to the forum, I have found a marriage in 1960 to Thomas Whinnery who was born in Belfast but there are far too many Marion I Roberts on record to be certain which one was your mother.
Do you know where she was born or perhaps your grandparents names.

Thomas Whinnery is living at 30 Cadbury Road in 1957. Also at the address are Alfred W and Irene K V Roberts.

Alfred W Roberts married Irene K V Griffiths in 1924.

Marian I Roberts born 1935, mmn Griffiths.

Omg thankyou so much. I really don't know much. My mom had sisters babara, irene, beryl, rita. My moms parents lived in tile cross, chelmsley wood. Im trying to trace my moms side of the family, as I nothing of them. Thankyou for the information so far.

If it is the Marion that married Thomas Whinnery then Alfred William Roberts was the son of Alfred Roberts and Lilian Sanders, whilst Irene Kate Victoria Griffiths was the daughter of John Griffiths and Sarah Ann Cudd.

Also a sister Audrey and brothers Alan and Eric?
Thankyou yes I remember now there was an audrey, but didn't know my mom had brothers. Im shaking with the excitment of knowing my moms family. I dont suppose u could tell me how to find out if their still alive. Sorry to be cheeky. Thankyou.

I can't be certain but unfortunately I don't think she is.

There is a death registered for a Marion Irene Roberts, Jun 1986 Solihull. Dob is 3 Nov 1935 which matches the birth registration. As it's Roberts and not Whinnery I'm assuming she split/divorced from your dad.

I can't be certain but unfortunately I don't think she is.

There is a death registered for a Marion Irene Roberts, Jun 1986 Solihull. Dob is 3 Nov 1935 which matches the birth registration. As it's Roberts and not Whinnery I'm assuming she split/divorced from your dad.
Thankyou. This is my mom. Im sorry for not wording it right, but yes this is my mom, and yes she did die in 1986,and she was the best mother to 11 of us, but its her siblings im trying to find out about, because i have not seen them, and need to know about my moms upbringing, and photos of her when she was young. Its absolutely amazing that ur helping me. It means so much to me to find her family. I cant thank you enough. What you have found out for me is so much of a help. Now i know some names i can try and find out more. Thankyou.

Unfortunately Roberts is quite a common name as is Griffiths so things can be a bit tricky.

In 1939 Alfred, Irene and their children were living at 25 Tenby Road. Three children are mentioned and there appear to be 5 closed records, meaning that they may have had at least 8 children by that time.

Alan b1938, died in 1942.

Eric Albert Arthur b1930, d2014

Audrey V b1924, d1966.

Assuming that Barbara b1939, Beryl b1927, Marion b1934, Rita b1932 are 4 of the other 5 that leaves 1 more which could be an Alfred J b1925.

And they may have had other children after 1939 but you can't tell if any of the other Roberts/Griffiths children are theirs or not.

Unfortunately Roberts is quite a common name as is Griffiths so things can be a bit tricky.

In 1939 Alfred, Irene and their children were living at 25 Tenby Road. Three children are mentioned and there appear to be 5 closed records, meaning that they may have had at least 8 children by that time.

Alan b1938, died in 1942.

Eric Albert Arthur b1930, d2014

Audrey V b1924, d1966.

Assuming that Barbara b1939, Beryl b1927, Marion b1934, Rita b1932 are 4 of the other 5 that leaves 1 more which could be an Alfred J b1925.

And they may have had other children after 1939 but you can't tell if any of the other Roberts/Griffiths children are theirs or not.
I cant say thankyou enough you have given me more in a few days than i could have only wished for. Just knowing my moms family is so overwhelming. With the information you have given me will try and find out more. As u can tell im new to this, but u have made me so happy. Thankyou again.

Back