• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Margery Elliott publishes her first book (The Story of Rotton Park) at 99 years old!

alib

Brummie babby
A 10 year labour of love, the book, “The Story of Rotton Park”, covers the history of Rotton Park Lodge where she grew up together with the surrounding areas of Birmingham. Margery Elliott provides a detailed account of the Lodge, gardens and its environs including the former farm, Edgbaston Reservoir and Perrott’s Folly.

The text includes biographies of people associated with the Lodge and their families, several of whom played a significant role in Birmingham’s history, and includes the rich histories of the author’s grandfather, James Richard Turner, who was a builder and prominent City Councillor who lived in the Lodge from 1903 to 1933, as well as her father, Edwin Elliott, who was founder and managing director of E. Elliott Ltd, manufacturers of injection-moulded plastic goods. The book incorporates numerous photographs and reproductions of old maps and documents. It offers a fascinating insight into the social history of Britain’s second city.

Margery recently attended her first book signing at Touchwood Shopping Centre in Solihull for World Book Day, after making her dream a reality. The book is available to purchase online http://www.brewinbooks.com/

A truly inspirational lady!

IMG_0027_2.jpg

Hello, Are you the Margery Elliott who used to sing with the City of Birmingham Choir? If you are, I remember you well from the '70s and '80s, when I sang first bass and sat in the front row under Christopher Robinson's nose in the rehearsals at Dr.Johnson House. No doubt you will remember my later father, Jack Payne.

Best wishes,

Donald Payne

Hi Donald, we're actually Margery's publishers but I've passed your message on to her. I think you are correct with your assumptions. Unfortunately she doesn't has internet access so she won't be able to reply directly. Many thanks Alistair

I am not sure if you as the publishers are the correct person to speak to, but I am doing research on photographic history in Birmingham and Edwin Elliott is of great interest to me especially with his connection to Coronet. Do you know whether Margery has any information related to the company I would be able to view? thank you in advance

Hi there, unfortunately, I'm not sure of the answer however I will forward your message on to one of Margery's relatives who will hopefully get back with an answer. I can't guarantee a response back but if I get one I'll certainly let you know. Kind regards Alistair Brewin

Thank you so much Alistair! I would really appreciate it! Birmingham's huge history of camera making and photography has been neglected and I would love to do what I can to tell people about it ...if I ever write a book on it, I will be in touch!!

Margery died last year aged 100. I am lucky enough to have an autographed copy of her book. As she was an Old Edwardian, there was an obituary about her in the Old Girls' newsletter, which I get.

The book gets a review on the BALH site, and in its Local Historian Magazine October 2019.

“Margery Elliot, the author, a science graduate, worked as an analyst in Leeds and served on the board of directors of E. Elliott Ltd, before retraining at the Royal College of Music, eventually becoming music mistress at Dudley High School. She pursued her musical interests; joined the Birmingham Bach choir; performed as soloist with a variety of orchestras and ensembles; and was made an Honorary Fellow of Birmingham Conservatoire in 2004. In 1989 she entered a BBC/Barclays Bank competition to celebrate Birmingham’s centenary as a city. Her ‘Rotton Park Lodge and the Turner Family’ developed into a 6000 word essay ‘Rotton Park Lodge and the Farm’ for a Birmingham University course and this now forms the substance of the present book.”

Back