• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

maps

sugarpuffs,
Thanks for that. I found it easy to use as it hasn't got the confusing frills of GE. O0

Alf,

To be honest, I didn't download it. I just used the 2D version online. To download it you need to be running Internet Explorer. It only takes seconds to download but, because the setup seems to have to download more files from the Net, rather longer to install. I'm now doing it while typing this... and it's going on and on and ... :-\

EDIT (some time later):

After numerous attempts to install it I've given up. Might be summat to do with me having Firefox as my default browser, I dunno. :mad: Still, the 2D online version does the job so. :)

I initially had problems with the link to MSoft but it downloaded and installed really quite quickly. Personally I think Google might soon have to play catch up with the high definition mapping, there seems to be more available on the MSoft site. On the negative side theres sometimes a fair bit of lag between zooming in and the display catching up, Google seems to have the edge there. But it's all still in Beta so who knows what will happen as time goes by.

I use IE7 and Firefox but I get a bit annoyed with Firefox it doesnt always have the ability to download some content. It was the same with this mapping, but I guess our Biil kinda made it that way, so it's not really the fault of Firefox.

The 3d mapping is tremendous, and some of the enhanced models theyre using like the Statue of Liberty are fantastic, Ive added a picture of it taken from the site, it doesnt give you the 3d feeling of the MSoft map but it shows you her ladyship.....

I've had it installed for about 2 weeks now and I'm very impressed with it.It still has a number of bugs in it,but it is a beta version.Its strange sometimes when changing direction of view that cars and in one case a child's paddling pool in a friends garden will dissapear in one view only to return in another,they think it must have been in mid July,when their grand daughter visited them so it shows about when some of the images were taken.I have posted a view from Virtual Earth on the Priory Mill topic,thats in 2D and looks good to me

Colin

It's great, I've never been able to download GE, and I waited so long to down load the 3d version I gave up. But 2d is fine, I just had to download loacation finder and Bingo. O0 I've just travelled the four miles into town, not a soul about. ;)

Thanks for the link sugarpuffs, you really are a honey. :)

loisand said:
I downloaded it, then it disappeared into cyber space, so I gave up :'(
:flower: :cat:

Exactly my experience - THREE TIMES - and I thought it was me! :-\ Still can't find it now with HDD searches of "all files and folders". :-[

Tried it but I think it needs Broadband, which I don't have. Very good though.

Back