• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mapledene Junior & Infants School

Trevor Glynn and a Paul can't remember last name had a twin sister
Hi, I remember Trevor Glynn from Birmingham representative teams U15/U17 and although I can' see him' in my minds eye and I am usually spot on with faces, I can't 'see' him on the photo unless , I presume, he might be the blond lad on the left of the back row. Point him out for me please
Regards Bob South

I came across this photo when looking for Ritchie Cridland , a friend of Trevor. I think trevor would be the blond lad top right

Attachments

• Ritchie.jpeg
    Ritchie.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
When we were clearing out my Grandmas Bungalow in Atherstone, we came across school sports certificates for Mapeldene Juniour and Sheldon Junior School. They were awarded to a Keith Hopkins. We don't know of a connection and Grandma has dementia, Grandad died tears ago, so thte is no one to ask.
I would like to be able to trace Keith, or his family and return the certificates, as they have no relevance to myself or family.
He must have been quite accomplished, as they are all for first place dating from 1963 to 1968.
Any help gratefully received.

Hi badpenny I was there from 1954 to 1958 Miss Walton was the secretary The teachers were Miss Figures she kept me in for talking one afternoon and forgot about me by 5 o'clock my mother was frantic . Then there was Mr Whiting he wore thick black spectacles and his shoes squeaked as he walked . Followed by Mr Greening the least said about him the better . Then I remember Mr Sinclair . Mr Smith took us for geometry he came to school on a bicycle the saddlebag used to be bulging with books he took home for marking . Mr Wimpory taught me in the final year he was keen on country dancing which we had to do some afternoons . He organised dances for us after we left when we were young teenagers . Three others I remember Mr Bates Deputy Head Mr Jackson ? Miss Boden ?
Hope this Helps
Hi there - i have just come across this post - my Grandmother was the Miss Walton that you refer to. She always spoke very fondly of her time at the school and i can vaguely recall going to her retirement party at the school in the late 1970's. Have you any other memories of her at all?

I've only just come across your post!

I remember the name Keith Hopkins from my time at Mapledene. He was a couple of years below me when I left in 1965 The names of those that were good at sport tended to stand out. I would probably have recognised him back then but sadly I have no recollection of him now or where he lived.

I do, however, have a copy of the Mapledene school magazine from 1965 where his name appears several times in relation to Sheldon sports. I noticed he qualified for the under 10's Potato Race but didn't earn any points in the final, though one of his peers, David Sparkes, did. I remember him because his Mom worked in Goodes sweet shop in Cranes Park Road near Mapledene School!

If you know which school he may have gone to after Mapledene - and a fair number went to Sheldon Heath Comprehensive - you may be able to locate him through their Facebook page. Hope you are able to find him.

Does anyone else know of a Hopkins family that lived in Sheldon in the 60's that may be able to help?

Attachments

• Cover.JPG
    Cover.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210920_112929.jpg
    20210920_112929.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • 20210920_112941.jpg
    20210920_112941.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 20210920_112955.jpg
    20210920_112955.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 20210920_113009.jpg
    20210920_113009.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210920_113021.jpg
    20210920_113021.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
It was definatly Autumn 1969 to summer 1970 that my girl friend at the time went to teachers training college at either Mapledene or Silvermere. It was used solely for teachers training , no school children.
I still have a feeling it was Mapledene.
Silvermere secondary school was converted to a teacher training college in the late 60s. When I was at Mapledene, I remember going round to the teacher training college to see their new video suite.

Silvermere secondary school was converted to a teacher training college in the late 60s. When I was at Mapledene, I remember going round to the teacher training college to see their new video suite.
Hello Mark, welcome to the forum. Did you live in Mapledene Road and did you have a couple of older brothers?

I lived in Greenfield House, Greenvale Avenue and had two older brothers, Dan and Andrew and a younger brother Ken at Mapledene.
I think I'm confusing you with another family named Nicholls who lived in Mapledene road. I too lived in Greenvale Ave. Was Greenfield House one of the 6 story blocks? I had a friend who lived on the top floor of one of the blocks, Trevor Slater.

I think I'm confusing you with another family named Nicholls who lived in Mapledene road. I too lived in Greenvale Ave. Was Greenfield House one of the 6 story blocks? I had a friend who lived on the top floor of one of the blocks, Trevor Slater.
We were on the 3rd floor. Trevor was a bit older than me but I do remember the Slaters. I didn't know there was another Nicholls family around.

We were on the 3rd floor. Trevor was a bit older than me but I do remember the Slaters. I didn't know there was another Nicholls family around.
I was in the same class as Trevor at Mapledene. After we left he went to Sheldon Heath and I went to Camp Hill grammar and we didn't see much of each other after that. The Nicholls family in Mapledene lived in the little grove opposite the three story flats. I remember Donald who was a year older than me and he had an elder brother whose name I can't recall but I remember he was the first bloke I saw in a "Beatle" style collar suit. I was green with envy! His parents always entered the competition for best kept garden run by the council and won it several times.

hello Mark I was in the same class as Andrew and Danny was in the same year as my brother Mick. If I remember Andrew took the art exam as I did and went to Bournville ,I went to Moseley art school.When were you there,because I have two sisters who went to Mapledene,Lindsay who is two years younger and Alison eleven years younger. Have you been on Mapledene school site ,there’s a photo from Dave Hartle of the cricket team and some faces Andrew should remember.
Paul Bignall,Eddie Kessler and Tim Mahon (Tim passed away about 10years ago) .You might know the Mahon’s they lived in Silvermere rd there was six of them ,the younger ones are Miles and Stephanie

hello Mark I was in the same class as Andrew and Danny was in the same year as my brother Mick. If I remember Andrew took the art exam as I did and went to Bournville ,I went to Moseley art school.When were you there,because I have two sisters who went to Mapledene,Lindsay who is two years younger and Alison eleven years younger. Have you been on Mapledene school site ,there’s a photo from Dave Hartle of the cricket team and some faces Andrew should remember.
Paul Bignall,Eddie Kessler and Tim Mahon (Tim passed away about 10years ago) .You might know the Mahon’s they lived in Silvermere rd there was six of them ,the younger ones are Miles and Stephanie

I remember the Mahon family from Silvermere Road, the elder children to add to your list were
Lesley, Christopher and Richard...

Here is another, taken in academic year 1963-4, with Mr Thompson having succeeded Mr Barlow as headmaster.

Attachments

• Image-11.jpg
    Image-11.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 16
Hello Robert. The athletics team comprised boys from all four years of the school. I was in class 4/1 at that point and was more familiar with the older boys in the photo. Here are the names I know. If we start on the back row, far left: me, next to me is Peter Capp, 4th from left is Anthony Taylor. Next row down: at Mr Thompson's shoulder is Derek Benton; next to him is Gary Pearce; 7th along is Philip Bishop; 9th along is Andrew Botham. On the next row down: 3rd along is Donald Parker; next to him Robert Shaw; next to Robert is his younger brother Malcolm; next to Malcolm is Clive Heaton; next to Clive is Colin Bowater. On the front row, I know only the first boy....Geoffrey Whittingham (memorable smile). I shall be pleased if anybody can add further names or correct any mistakes.

Thanks Mark, I myself didn't attend Mapledene but went to Silvermere in 1963 and a few came from Mapledene, so l imagine one or two on the photo would have been there at the same time.

Hello Robert. The athletics team comprised boys from all four years of the school. I was in class 4/1 at that point and was more familiar with the older boys in the photo. Here are the names I know. If we start on the back row, far left: me, next to me is Peter Capp, 4th from left is Anthony Taylor. Next row down: at Mr Thompson's shoulder is Derek Benton; next to him is Gary Pearce; 7th along is Philip Bishop; 9th along is Andrew Botham. On the next row down: 3rd along is Donald Parker; next to him Robert Shaw; next to Robert is his younger brother Malcolm; next to Malcolm is Clive Heaton; next to Clive is Colin Bowater. On the front row, I know only the first boy....Geoffrey Whittingham (memorable smile). I shall be pleased if anybody can add further names or correct any mistakes.
At Mr Thompson's shoulder, 5th along is John Askew and 6th along is Stephen Marsh. I think Anthony Taylor had a younger brother, Nolan, who was also good at sport? He and his family lived in an old cottage, demolished many years ago, situated on the corner of Sheaf Lane andMardon Road.

Last edited:
Yes Anthony's younger brother was Nolan. I remember the cottage well, it didn't have electricity, lighting was from wall mounted gas lights.

Miss Hay's class 1/1 1956/7. I ought to remember a lot more!
Back Row L-R: ?, Reginald Parton, Christopher Rowan, Elizabeth Day, Margaret Thornborough, Peggy Mole, Raymond Johns, Brian Johnson, John Cole.
Middle Row L-R: Stephen Taylor, Margaret Newton, Ian Christie, ?, Keith Thornborough, Valerie Johnson, Trevor Slater, Jill Burrows, Clive Birch, Christine Blake, Ivor James.
Standing Row L-R: David Hughes, Elizabeth White, ?, ?, Philip Silver, Christine Cole, James Madden, Susan Dray, Peter Beech, Kathleen Linforth, James Hiscox, ?, ?, Eve Edwards, Julian Partridge.
Sitting Row L-R: Pauline Evans,? , Jaqueline Godfrey, ?, Howard Thomas, Miss Hay, Susan Young, ?, James Shaw, Jean Crawley, ?.

This photograph must have been taken in the 'secret' playground as that is the final year infants' class spur in the background.
View attachment 129728
During out time in this class the Mayflower II made it trip across the Atlantic and we put in map pins each day. Margaret Newton's brother was a sailor and he bought her Japanese dolls in glass cases which she brought in for us to see. One boy's father was a fishmonger and they had found a baby shark, about a foot long, which he showed to us.

Mapledene Boys Choir.jpg

Well, it's taken me a while to reply to this - I had no idea such a forum existed and only came across it yesterday. The last line from Spargone above prompted me to dig out a photo from our family album of what appears to be a Mapledene male voice choir in cowboy gear - probably around 1957. Our choir director (whose name escapes me) was a fan of Burl Ives, so we sang "Big Rock Candy Mountain", and 'Chivalrous Shark".
So, back row, l to r, David Hughes, Ivor James. last on right Brian Astley. Front row, l to r, Julian Partridge, MIchael Smith, Roger Macfadyean, unknown, yours truly Christopher (Chris) Rowan, Jeffrey someone.

It's been a long time since I thought about Mapledene, so it was good to find my memories refreshed by some of the posts here. Messrs Wimpery, Cullen, Bates, and course Mrs. Best (and Miss Hay).

Back