• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mapledene Junior & Infants School

A couple of press photos showing the school's musical success. Not great photos but might spark some memories. Viv.image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Darius the Mede was a King and a wonder
With an eye of steel and a voice like thunder..........................
I can't remember the rest offhand but I've never forgotten those opening lines!
There was another one we performed on stage for parents as well, something about a Tiger, the only words I can recall are....."Hacking throughe jungle like a knife"
All in an effort for us to speak correctly and lose our Brummie accent:D
That was all i remember too. Shame it didn't print on my sheet lol

A couple of press photos showing the school's musical success. Not great photos but might spark some

The school entered a number of competitions but I was always dropped as i had a terrible voice. I dont recognise anyone in the photos or the teacher though.

A couple of press photos showing the school's musical success. Not great photos but might spark some memories. Viv.View attachment 123476
View attachment 123475
That's lovely to see, I was a member of the school choir but after my voice broke in senior school I couldn't, and still can't, sing a note.
I remember Mr Wimpory taking us for singing lessons but I'm sure it was Mrs Best who ran the school choir. (Or maybe it's my mind playing tricks after all these years).
Anyway congratulations to all those involved. By the way were you in there somewhere?

During 1969 to 1970 I was going out with a girl who was a student teacher from Westbourne Road teachers training college Edgbaston. During this period of time she was Mappledene School which was being used as an annex to the college . There were no school children there then as I visited the school many times to pick her up in my car. How many years was it used by the teachers training college.

During 1969 to 1970 I was going out with a girl who was a student teacher from Westbourne Road teachers training college Edgbaston. During this period of time she was Mappledene School which was being used as an annex to the college . There were no school children there then as I visited the school many times to pick her up in my car. How many years was it used by the teachers training college.
Are you getting it mixed up with Silvermere Rd school? I don't think Mapledene was ever used for that purpose. I know for a period around that time Silvermere had something to do with teacher training as I bumped into a couple of friends from Grammar school who were studying there for teaching quaalifications.

Maybe this British History online description will help.

MAPLEDENE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Sheldon. Opened 1950 by Birm. C.B.C. for JI, with 7 classes housed in Silvermere Rd. Cty. Modern Sch. until 1951 when new I block opened and sch. divided into 2 depts. Accom. 1961: 22 classrooms, 2 halls.

Viv

Further to my pictures of the Coronation celebrations at Mapledene you may be interested in this picture
zn6eyu.jpg

This is my certificate that every child got (Although my name is spelt incorrectly) together with my mug and propelling pencil which we all got.
My wife still has her Coronation Coach and Horses and mug which she got on Coronation Day. She lived in Downsfield Rd at the time and went to Stanville Rd. junior and infants

I guess it could nave been Silvermere school jmadone, there both in the same area. Can anybody help out here

I guess it could nave been Silvermere school jmadone, there both in the same area. Can anybody help out here
Silvermere was definitely a secondary school in 1965. A friend of mine went there and left in about 1970. So it must have have been a teacher training college after that date? When used as a college it was no longer a school. Sorry no specific dates. You may find this link interesting. I didnt know the author but knew his two younger brothers as I lived in the same road. My mom and uncle also went to this school too. Remember my mom taking me to an open day there and showing me where an unexploded bomb lodged on the staircase in WW2.
https://www.facebook.com/Silvermere-Road-School-Sheldon-Birmingham-by-Brian-Mann-165859603501903/

Ps mapeldene and silvermere were in different roads and were separate schools from sbout 1953 as i went to the mspledene 50 year anniversary open day

It was definatly Autumn 1969 to summer 1970 that my girl friend at the time went to teachers training college at either Mapledene or Silvermere. It was used solely for teachers training , no school children.
I still have a feeling it was Mapledene.

Silvermere closed July !967, The last School year consisted of 4th and 5th year students. There were no intake thre previous 2 years and 3rd year students were transfered to other Scools in 1966. The School re-opened for a short while in the 1980s after that it was taken over by Birmingham social sercives untill being demoliehed in 2016.

Back