• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Map of Summer Lane & Hockley

A great view of Cowper St (?) School.
Yes it is, also Porchester Street where before the war my father started as a carpenter at Pearson's Shopfitters, spent all his working life there, and went on to become a director of the company.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thank you. You guys are amazing..any idea why this house was so big in comparison to others on the street?
i dont think it is bigger laura...i could be wrong but i think mike may also have coloured in no 1 milton st....186 is the little bit on the end....hopefully he will be able to say...

here is a todays view...the ground now has an aldi supermarket standing there

lyn

Looking at these 2 maps from 1889 & 1950s it looks as though No. 1 was absorbed into No. 186. What is strange is that there isn't enough room for the remaining numbers 2 to 10, numbering goes from 3 to 7 with only 2 houses between. Perhaps a mistake on the map?

Attachments

• milton-street-maps.jpg
    milton-street-maps.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 16
I do not think I am wrong in relationship to what the map shows (though this may not be accurate) . The uncoloured 1950s map shows it as one building, as does the c1889 map , both below

map c1889 showing corne summer lane and Milton St.jpgmap 1950s showing corner of Summer lane and Milton St.jpg

Back