• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

MAP IRVING ST AND HURST ST PLEASE

Hicksy

Hi everyone. My name is Karen and I joined this forum as I have recently discovered that my great grandfather lived in Birmingham. On the 1881 census he was living at 6 House, Court 13, 81 Hurst Street and on the 1891 census he was living at 2 House, Court 33, Irving Street. I was wondering if anyone would have any information, knowledge, maps or photos of this location at all please? Or if you would know where I can go online to find this information. I live in Cornwall and so don't visit Birmingham very often. I would be grateful for any information you can provide me.

hello karen and welcome...i am going to change the title of your thread to read MAP/IRVING ST AND HURST ST and move the thread to our maps section of the forum as you may receive more help if its in the appropriate section of the forum...if you use the search box you should find photos of hurst st and irving st and if mike our map expert spots your post i am sure he will provide you with maps for the 2 addresses you mention...if you need any help just ask

lyn

Last edited:
hello karen and welcome...i am going to change the title of your thread to read MAP/IRVING ST AND HURST ST and move the thread to our maps section of the forum as you may receive more help if its in the appropriate section of the forum...if you use the search box you should find photos of hurst st and irving st and if mike our map expert spots your post i am sure he will provide you with maps for the 2 addresses you mention...if you need any help just ask

lyn
Thank you very much Lyn, really appreciate your help

Hicksy.
Below is a map of Irving st c1889, showing court 33 in pink and probable no 2 in blue (we cannot be absolutely certain , but would expect numbering to go that way).
Also another map, c1889 showing court 13 Hurst St in pink, I do not know the order of numbering for this court, and it is not obvious . Should add that today Hurst St goes further down off the map, but then this was Lower Hurst St. The two were later combined and the street renumbered. Today the position would be. I think, no 28 Hurst St.

map c1889 irving st, showing court 33 and probable no 2.jpgmapc1889 showing court 13 Hurst St.jpg

Well done with the maps Mike, Karen will be pleased.
Karen,
Irving St. - I was born in 1949 at 1, Court 12, just to the west of Sutton St. - but it was numbered 1 back of 66 or 1/66 in my day, as your great-grandfather's house would have been numbered something like 2/141. Irving St. was numbered on the north side, west to east down to Bristol St. and then back up the south side east to west. When you look at old photos on this forum they usually follow that numbering - as they do on this website page http://www.oldladywood.co.uk/irvingstreet.htm. There are also words on, and photos of, the style of living in such back-to-back housing in Ted Rudge/Mac Joseph's book "Birmingham, We Lived Back to Back" - bit of my life gets a mention on p95. You can still experience living in Irving St. by staying at the Ibis Hotel, just up the hill (west) from your great-grandfather's house - the street's changed quite a bit! You could of course also visit the National Trust Back to Back houses in Hurst Street. That area of the town is where my maternal agricultural labouring ancestors, by the name of Bodfish, from Oxfordshire, first came to live and work in the town. It was called the Ladywell area in those days - the ancient Lady Well is marked on Mike's map - in what became a timber yard, where some of my ancestors worked. I'm paying Cornwall a flying visit in a couple of weeks - perhaps you ought to visit Birmingham to tread your newly found ancestor territory!
Bill

we have a thread for irving st with a few photos on it click on link below

lyn

Terrific Mike. Other relatives lived at 5 House, Court 4 Lower Hurst Street in 1867. We assume this is near the Inge Street back to backs. Would 5 House be the first one in the actual court? There are a few photos of the Hippodrome with the Courts of Hurst St in the background. Is Court 4 beginning at about the 13th window from the Inge St corner? The family was the Clayfields and the father was a marksman (illiterate) who was a whipmaker. What suburb was Hurst St in at this time?

Lower Hurst Street was further down , south of that map Below is a continuation of the map from Bromsgrove street with court 4 in red. At a guess house 5 would be the one I have marked in blue, but cannot be certain.

map c1889 showing court 4 Lower Hurst St.jpg

Thank you for the quick reply. Are there any photos of Lower Hurst St? Currently I have only seen Hurst St.

I do not have any labelled Lower Hurst St, but any photos post 1898 (when it became part of Hurst St,) and pre WW2 of the part of Hurst St between Bromsgrove St and Bishop St (nos 107-225 & 108-212) will show the area that was Lower Hurst St , and the buildings will probably be very similar

lyn
Hi there
I also have been a fairly new member and am grateful for this thread re IRVING ST.
I have discovered a ancestor WILLIAM FOREMAN (but changed his name to FIRMAN on the1881 census
-aged 71or 75 )lodged with the TYLER family at 46th COURT, 5TH HOUSE IRVING ST. He was employed as a messenger and porter possibly at the railway station?
Again ,thank you ,great to see the maps posted.

Good Morning everyone,

Just started my family tree and found my grandparents lived at number 2 back of 159 Irving Street, Birmingham.

I've seen Anabel had relatives at number 8.

Really early on in my research.. but hopefully I'll be able to pick all of your brains.

Does anyone have any images that would show Latimer, Irving and Hurst Streets as they would have been in the 1910s?

Is it accurate to assume all housing in these streets was the ‘back to back’ accommodation? I have several addresses for relatives in these streets, some use the word court in the address, another has the word ‘back’ in the address.

how many people were in the area at this time? I have two sets of relatives living on Latimer street, one in trafalgar terrace, another at what looks to be ‘Latimer street front 72 back 12’ (NO idea if I have the format right there so please do correct me), how close would these addresses have been?

thank you so much in advance!

Below is a map showing Irving St & Latimer St in c1950. No 72 is marked in red , and 2 back 72 in blue. You can see that 2 back 72 is also Trafalgar terrace. ?sometimes alternate names were used at different times.
map 1950 irving st latimer stA.jpg

Thank you, this makes a huge difference to my research, the possibility of two family members being in the same area unbeknownst to each other now seems implausible which puts a very different spin on things. Forgive my ignorance of the geography of the area (have been to Birmingham only once and never knew there was a family connection to Birmingham until a few days ago so it’s all very exciting!) - is Hurst St in a different area? I don’t think I can see it in this image?

Yes. Hurst St is to the east of the map given before, though nott too far awya, but you can only upload a certain size mapp else it becomes unreadable. Below is a map c1955 of Hurst St.

map c1950 Hurst stA.jpg

My Great Grandfather William Charles Bradley owned or rented a shop at 178 Irving Street @1879. Are there any maps of photos of this part of Irving street?

Here is a map of the centre of Irving st from the 1880s showing no 178 in red

map c1889 showing 178 Irving St.jpg

Back