• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mansel Road, St Benedicts Road & Whitmore Road 1960-1969

Michael6/59

Brummie babby
If anyone went to the school or lived in Whitmore Road, off the Coventry Road drop me a line. Ta!
To add a little more detail...... I lived at the top of St Benedicts Road near St Benedicts CofE Church and used to run around with Christopher Shelley. Our family moved to Whitmore Road around 1967 and my parents run the Bordesley Labour Club, from 1967 until 1969. Whilst there I meet a girl...... (both of us aged about 9!) her parents owned a Greek/Cypriot Restaurant on the Coventry Road near the Whitmore Road junction, I can't recall her family name but her first name was Fullah.... I think thats the spelling.... she was my first girlfriend! My family left Whitmore Road in August 1969 and moved to live in Northern Ireland where they were originally from

Hi Michael. I lived in St Benidicts Rd from 1963 to 1976 but the Cov end No 3. I was a member of the Bordesley Labour club for about 15 years, the steward in those days was Alan Green and his wife, the chairman was Jack Danter the father of my best friend Alan I have many happy memories of the club from dancing around the the snooker tables in the old days to the building of the New concert room.
Regards Acklam19

Hi Michael. I lived in St Benidicts Rd from 1963 to 1976 but the Cov end No 3. I was a member of the Bordesley Labour club for about 15 years, the steward in those days was Alan Green and his wife, the chairman was Jack Danter the father of my best friend Alan I have many happy memories of the club from dancing around the the snooker tables in the old days to the building of the New concert room.
Regards Acklam19
My parents William and Evelyn Redmond run the club for about two years from 1967-1969 before moving the whole family back to NI where they were originally from...... I remember the snooker tables ......... If I remember correctly about 4? I used to play on them when the club closed in the afternoon on a Sunday..... I also remember the dart room which I think was upstairs......?

Incidentally when we lived there it was in the house beside the club, they were in the process of starting to build the new club when we left.......... I also remember there was a cafe for motor bikers (Hells Angels?) on the Coventry Road just around the corner from the Whitmore Road.

Regards Acklam19
Hello Acklam.
We lived at number 326 St Benedicts Rd (I think I remember the number!) I run around with Christopher Shelley who lived near by, he had a sister called Vivienne. My parents run the Bordesley Labour Club during the time we lived in Whitmore Rd. I think we may have bumped into each other during our time ...... you never know? Thanks for taking the time to reply, apologises for my delay in replying.
Kind Regards
Michael

Hi Michael just to say its a pity your parents and family left when they did as the club built a superb concert room at the rear complete with a very nice stewards flat above.I did quite a bit of building repairs there over the years I was a member working through the club's money man George Harris.
Regards acklam19.

Hi Acklam. Our family were in the process of leaving when the builders had just started to modernise the old club. We lived in the house that was next to the club and we were able to access the club side door via our back yard. Though we were only there for a short time I made friends with a girl whose parents were Greek/Cypriot and owned a restaurant just around the corner on Coventry Rd a few yards from the Whitmore Rd junction. Her name was Fullah (or similar) unfortunately I don't recall her family name. I did go back to the club around 1998 for a drink when I was having a stop over with family in Yardley. I never really got to know any of the committee members as I was only 8/9 yrs old when we lived there.
Regards Michael

Back