• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Book: Manors of Aston Parish by John Morris Jones

Louisa

master brummie
The Manors of Aston Parish is a useful factual snapshot introduction to the historical geography of Aston Manor, Bordesley & Deritend, Duddeston & Nechells, Saltley and Little Bromwich which was published in 1978 by the Birmingham Education Department, Margaret Street Birmingham.

The author is John Morris Jones ACO FRGS Headmaster at George Dixon Junior School and it is in A4 format and not a bound book. The reference is ISBN 0-7093-0008-5.

This booklet is useful for any one newly researching in Aston Manor, it gives condensed descriptions about the development of each of the areas through the ages from 1700's to 1977 with hand drawings of maps denoting the location of roads,canals industrial works and housing areas for each time span the section is covering.

The copy which I consulted for my family history was in the Birmingham & Midland Society for Geneology & Heraldy Library but there may be a copy in the Birmingham Library.

Dear Jenny
Thank you so much for the information link, I have added it to my favourites list for future reference.

It is very useful when you are trying to research your Birmingham ancestors from afar, to have access through the Birmingham History webring forum, to so many knowldegeable and hepful people and so much local information.

It all helps me to put some flesh on the bones of my boatmen ancestor's lives. Thanks:)

Yes, it's an excellent resource to have on-line. It's full of information, well-written and easy reading too. Some of the details have been superseded by later work, of course, but it still gives an amazingly complete picture of Aston history. Mr Jones must have been a very gifted teacher. I remember my elder son had an outstanding classical history teacher whose classroom was was an exciting museum in its own right.
What a pity Mr Jones never got on to do the same for the Parish of Birmingham, though it would have been a bigger job.
Peter

Thanks Louise. I am just starting to research my family - many of whom came from this are of Birmingham and I look forward to seeing this snapshot !

The Manors of Aston Parish is a useful factual snapshot introduction to the historical geography of Aston Manor, Bordesley & Deritend, Duddeston & Nechells, Saltley and Little Bromwich which was published in 1978 by the Birmingham Education Department, Margaret Street Birmingham.

The author is John Morris Jones ACO FRGS Headmaster at George Dixon Junior School and it is in A4 format and not a bound book. The reference is ISBN 0-7093-0008-5.

This booklet is useful for any one newly researching in Aston Manor, it gives condensed descriptions about the development of each of the areas through the ages from 1700's to 1977 with hand drawings of maps denoting the location of roads,canals industrial works and housing areas for each time span the section is covering.

The copy which I consulted for my family history was in the Birmingham & Midland Society for Geneology & Heraldy Library but there may be a copy in the Birmingham Library.

Digging up this old thread. This booklet has become hard to find since being long out of print. There is one copy for sale at the moment in the country that I am aware of - from Stella Books (not a cheap bookshop at the best of times) and can be had via eBay if you really want a printed copy.

The online version can only be accessed via the waybackmachine here: https://web.archive.org/web/2016070...acher/history/jm_jones/aston_manors/index.htm

I took the liberty of converting the .LIT format downloadable version from above into a more accessible PDF file and have attached it. It does contain all the hand drawn maps.

Attachments

• aston_manors.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
Thank you SDUG for that. the author also did one of the Manors north of Birmingham, Erdington, Wittin, Handsworth, Hamstead and Perry Barr

That's really helpful SDUG. There used to be a full set in Erdington Library, as described by Mike above, but last time I went in most of it was missing.

OK. Just going back through the above link, the rest appear to be there. I am going to download a few booklets and attach them here in PDF form.

Unfortunately, a few of them are too large for the server to handle here so I shall have to find a sharing site for those.

Attachments

• Duddeston & Nechells - J M Jones.pdf
    926.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Hall Green & Hereabout - J M Jones.pdf
    237.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Ladywood - J M Jones.pdf
    800.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Manor of Yardley - J M Jones.pdf
    866.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Sheldon & Showing Sheldon - J M Jones.pdf
    822.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Swanshurst Quarter - J M Jones.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • The Waters of Yardley - J M Jones.pdf
    777.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Yardley Church End - J M Jones.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • Sparkhill & Greet - J M Jones.pdf
    820.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Moseley - J M Jones.pdf
    714.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Sarehole Water Mill - J M Jones.pdf
    408.9 KB · Views: 4
  • The Manor of Handsworth - J M Jones.pdf
    331.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Link to the entire collection here: https://web.archive.org/web/2016051...client_ftp/teacher/history/jm_jones/index.htm

The booklets are downloadable from each section all in .LIT format ebooks. You can use Calibre to convert to PDF or any other ebook format. Additionally, there are free online converters if you are on a phone or don't want to add additional software.

Here are the missing files: https://www.mediafire.com/file/vyavfiiu1p7xf4g

I left a few booklets from the collection as they were things like railways rather than specific areas of Birmingham.

I have spotted both of the Maps of Birmingham volumes on Abebooks, both for upwards of £20 plus postage. Given the rudimentary nature of their publication and their rather "preloved" state of repair, they are fetching a pretty penny. Someone must be interested.

Back