• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Manor Park School Vicarage Road

Hi Lynda and welcome to the forum. I remember all those teachers and will try to find out about Miss Williams as I know someone who is still in touch with Mrs Bond and was friends with Miss Plant till she passed away about four years ago. Some sad news is Janet Gresswell my sister in law passed away several years ago from breast cancer. She became a junior school teacher and her pupils loved her.

Hi Lynda and welcome to the forum. I remember all those teachers and will try to find out about Miss Williams as I know someone who is still in touch with Mrs Bond and was friends with Miss Plant till she passed away about four years ago. Some sad news is Janet Gresswell my sister in law passed away several years ago from breast cancer. She became a junior school teacher and her pupils loved her.

Hi Jean, Thank you for such a prompt reply. This is quite amazing to 'chat' to someone from all the way back then. I am very saddened to hear about Janet. However I am glad to hear that she had what sounds like a fulfilling career. I too became a teacher after leaving Bourneville Art school to go and train at Laban Dance Studio. I am now retired and live in Cheshire. It would be so wonderful to be able to write to Mrs Bond do send my regards to her.

Will message Dorothy this evening. Dorothy did promise to forward a photo of Miss Plant when she cleared out her house but as of yet she has not. Will do my best for you. Do you remember Mrs Goldigay?. She was Miss Byatt when I first started at the school. She ended up teaching my twins in later life before she retired. She was lovely.

My late Wife Doreen attended the school from 1933 t0 1942 and here sister Edna (now 81) also attended 1940 to 1950 as they both lived opposite at 128 Vicarage Rd they were allowed to go home lunch time, their Aunt Anne also lived opposite and ran the little shop opposite many of the girls came in to buy their sweets and 'pop', perhaps some of you may remember her ?? Eric

Hi Eric I used that little shop with the steep steps every school day and bout the penny vantas and toffee lollies.

Hi, thank you for that. I'm afraid that I don't recall Miss Byatt/ Goldigay. I did rememberanother friend called Frances Millard.
There was another P.E. teacher who was great friends with Miss Reynolds at the time but I can't think of her name. She was very good fun as was Miss Reynolds.

Lynda I tried to e.mail Dorothy last night on her two addresses but they both came back as failure. The only other way is a message on face book if she is still on there. She is profoundly deaf unfortunately so phoning is out of the question. I will keep trying. Do you mean Mrs Lowe?. I have a photo of her the day I left Manor Park.

Thank you Jean for trying - I appreciate your efforts. I seem to remember the name Mrs Lowe. This is like a detective story! Can you post the photo? :)

Will try later Lynda. They were on the thread but the forum was hacked a while back. Will see if it will accept them a second time. Have messaged Dorothy on face book but will have to wate and see if she replies.

Here we go. Sorry Lynda they won't attach. If you send me your e.mail address in a private message I will send them to you. Dorothy has not come back as yet. Janet's sister Linda is still alive but unfortunately her husband passed away just after Janet.

Last edited:
I went to Manor Park Junior school and for some reason we had a few lessons at "the Annexe" which was the methodist church on Lichfield Road. I also went to Sunday school there too! Would be about 1959-60. Remember Mr Davis anyone?

Welcome to the forum Boogaloo. Hopefully a former pupil (and one who remembers Mr Davis) will see your post. Enjoy the Forum. Viv.

Pat I have still got my baby doll pyjamas and pants [harvest festivals] I made with smocking on the top. Miss Plant is still alive but unfortunately has the start of dementure. Mrs Bond visits her quite often so I have been told by an old school friend. Will sort some old photo's out and hope they have not been put on before of the Cookery block and tennis courts. Jean.

Hi, I started to use this forum some months ago and due to 'circumstances lost touch again. I was trying to contact Mrs Bond I can't remember who repied to me. My name is Lynda Coles. If you have any connection or interaction with her or any of the other teachers please let me know. Best wishes.

Went to Manor Park Juniors late 50's. Infant school was Church Lane. My maiden name was Hatton. Any one remember?

Lynda Mrs Bond to my knowledge (four years ago) is still up and running but does not appear to want to answer my e.mails and messages!. She is still in contact with Dorothy Holland who arranged Miss Plants funeral some years ago and that is the last I have heard!. If I do hear anything I will post on this forum.

Thank you Jean for latest information. Would Dorothy perhaps talk to me on this forum- are you in touch with her? I have just found all our previous messages- sorry I forgot you there for a moment. :oops:

Hi everyone. I remember Miss Williams, Mrs Bond, Miss Shirley, The esteemed Miss Plant and a few more. My best friends were Joyce Ball and Elaine Willcox. My name is Pamela Maher. I attended the school from 1966 - 1970. Be nice to hear if anyone remembers me. :)

Hi everyone. I remember Miss Williams, Mrs Bond, Miss Shirley, The esteemed Miss Plant and a few more. My best friends were Joyce Ball and Elaine Willcox. My name is Pamela Maher. I attended the school from 1966 - 1970. Be nice to hear if anyone remembers me. :)
Any remember Susan Bradbury from Manor Park she is 64.Thanks Irene

I attended Manor Park girls school from 1964 to 1968 you have refreshed my memory on a few names that I had long forgot.I remember the walk from the school to Aston Park winter and summer,I'm sure those men that sat on the benches as we walked past were not there by coincidence,Miss Hodgeson was my first teacher and she taught us italics I found it quite hard as I was a leftie.some names I remember are Gillian Hammond,who was my "best friend" until she left the area.Carole Jordan,Ann Birbeck,Janet Leishman,Susan Malone, SallyAbbey who I don't think attended Manor Park but I would love to hear about, Linda Ford,Fay Preston,Glynis Johns,are some that come to mind,I used to love going to the flat to do cooking and learn how to lay a table,I hope someone remembers some of the names I have mentioned,I will continue to read the forum as it brings back old memories.

Welcome to new members Pamela and Christine. Nice to hear your memories. Enjoy the forum. Viv.

I attended Manor Park, leaving 1962. It would be good to know if anyone remembers me. I certainly remember Miss Vera Plant. Also Miss Roper Mrs Shirras and Miss Shirley ( who was a severe asthmatic as I recall. I was always surprised when she gasped her way up to the top floor, where the needlework room was situated)

I attended Manor Park girls school from 1964 to 1968 you have refreshed my memory on a few names that I had long forgot.I remember the walk from the school to Aston Park winter and summer,I'm sure those men that sat on the benches as we walked past were not there by coincidence,Miss Hodgeson was my first teacher and she taught us italics I found it quite hard as I was a leftie.some names I remember are Gillian Hammond,who was my "best friend" until she left the area.Carole Jordan,Ann Birbeck,Janet Leishman,Susan Malone, SallyAbbey who I don't think attended Manor Park but I would love to hear about, Linda Ford,Fay Preston,Glynis Johns,are some that come to mind,I used to love going to the flat to do cooking and learn how to lay a table,I hope someone remembers some of the names I have mentioned,I will continue to read the forum as it brings back old memories.
I did 66-68 and Miss Hodgeson also taught me italics. I was so thrilled to have my work displayed on the walls. I used to hate the walk to Aston Park to play hockey in those stupid short skirts we had made in sewing lessons. We left the area in 68 hence my only doing two years there but loved it. They were so strict about the uniform, I could never get the beret to sit on my head right. Happy times.

I attended Manor Park girls school from 1968-1971. I remember Ms Shirley, who had asthma, and Ms Sherice, both taught needlework! There was Ms Clark, the history teacher, Ms Bradbury the English teacher! Ms Sadler the music teacher, and Ms Roper. How can I forget Ms Plant the headmistress. I now live in the United States! I go back from time to time!

Hi Scotty and welcome to the forum. Will see if I can find an old photo of some classmates on the day we left. Can't find it but this is a photo on a Youth Hostelling week away in Shropshire. I am on the right but cannot for the life of me remember the girls name next to me.

Attachments

• xy3.jpg
    xy3.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 13
was any of you ladies at vicarage rd during the fifties
and can any body recalling a teacher or head mistress having there arm in a sling possible broken ,? at vicarage rd
best wishs astonian ;;
My close friend Treena was there in the 50's. She was great friends with Jennifer (name forgotten) If anyone knows where she is now please post on here.
Thanks, Avril.

First photo From left Ivy Price Marion Hardwick and Jean ?????. The second one not too sure but Mrs Lowe is the PE teacher.

Attachments

• pete7.jpg
    pete7.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 9
  • pete8.jpg
    pete8.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 9
Back