• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

manor house nechells

Henry Chapman was a cab proprietor in 1879. The RSPCA tried to prosecute him for ill treatment of a horse but the case was dismissed. Viv.

image.jpeg

I remember this cutting from when I was researching the Chapmans. Many cabbies turned to drink and I think this may have been Henry's downfall.

A couple of Chapman's bus incidents. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 14
Viv, I think these bus drivers were a breed apart don't you? Mind you, I wouldn't like to have done their job. Even when they'd finished their working hours they still had to sort out the horse and bus.

I read in a history of Aston that in the domesday book Aston was eastwards of a Manor House. Experts have ruled out that it wasn't Nechells Manor House. I didn't know Nechells did have a Manor House. Can anyone enlighten me on that?
Moved post from another thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this article by chance today when I was looking for Manor Mills, it's from the Birmingham Mail dated March 23rd 1891.

Attachments

• Nechells Manor House.jpg
    Nechells Manor House.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
thanks for those snippets john and mike..mike ive only just seen yours...such a shame that given its connection with the holte family it was demolished and of course my rellies also lived there..if anyone can find a better photo of than the only one i have i would be grateful

lyn

My grandmother was Beryl Chapman the daughter of Albert Edward Chapman and Nellie Healey.

Albert was the son of Thomas Chapman (born 1946)and Helena Wright Humphries.

Thomas was the son of the Thomas(1811-1891) and Sarah Chapman who lived at The Manor House and he did live at The Manor House as a child. In the 1861 census showing this, the address is shown as "Nelson Terrace, Manor House"!!

The Thomas (born 1846) was the brother of the Henry Chapman of The White Swan who was named in the probate for the earlier Thomas(born 1811).

Back