• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

manor house nechells

Are these any better Lyn?

Attachments

• LOT5ChattawayStreet.jpg
    LOT5ChattawayStreet.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 26
  • MANORHOUSE.jpg
    MANORHOUSE.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 41
  • PROPERTYSALE.jpg
    PROPERTYSALE.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 29
thats much better suzanne thank you...i see its listed as a mansion in the last add..think i had better come down to earth now and remember that i was born in a back to back in paddington st lol...i will have to spend time this weekend writing all this up neatly as at the min i am surrounded by bits of paper with scribble on...

thats a good point suzanne because the sale notice says the manor house and 3 houses..as lynne pointed out william harrington was next door at no 54 on the 1881 census...i guess its possable that thomas chapman owned this house and maybe william worked for him..fell in love with the girl next door and married...im getting all mushy now and its starting to sound like a catherine cookson novel... lol...would be interesting to find out williams occupation in 1881..may give us a clue..

lyn

Lyn, William's occupation was Glass Blower.

And finally Lyn, not sure if these articles are your Thomas but worth a read and you can decide, they mention Thomas Chapman senior and junior.

Suzanne

Attachments

• 1Feb1881ThomasChapman.jpg
    1Feb1881ThomasChapman.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 23
  • 2Feb1870ThomasChapman.jpg
    2Feb1870ThomasChapman.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 13Jun1889ThomasChapman.jpg
    13Jun1889ThomasChapman.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 30Nov1887ThomasChapman.jpg
    30Nov1887ThomasChapman.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 26Sept1888ThomasChapman.jpg
    26Sept1888ThomasChapman.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 22
thanks lynne..ive just been looking through my census years and can now see william was a glassblower...looks like the harringtons started living in nechells from at least 1841 in heneage st and slowly moved their way accross to newtown/aston/hockley...dad is a direct decendant of williams brother henry harrington and how strange that the nursing home dad is in is only 2 mins away from where the manor house stood..next time i visit him i shall take a walk down this street..cant thank you all enough for your help...

lyn

Lyn theres a Will on Ancestry, it says Thomas died at Manor House Chattaway Street on 5th of Feb 1891, it says his Persoal Effects £29.5s. The Administrator was Henry Chapman, of the White Swan, Wheeler St.

oh thats great lynne...guess henry could have been his son or brother...not another pub in the family..dont think i have pic of the white swan although it rings a bell of being towards the bottoms of wheeler st...will try and check that out tomorrow..ive gone brain dead now...

thank lynne..

Suzanne
If you enlarge the article it seems to say 15 to 27 Chattaway st (spelled it right this time). This would have been on the other side of the road on the other side of cook St.
Lyn
To make it clear no 54 is on the right hand side of the manor house on the map

thanks shirl..i knew of the earlier one..still searching for pics of the one in chattaway st..

Hi Lyn this is the only pic I have of Chattaway st Ramsley rd on the right of the photo. don't know if you have seen it before.

chattaway st e.jpg

thanks pudding ive got that one..will keep searching for more..thank you

lyn

Hi Everyone,

I've found the stuff on the Manor House, Nechells really interesting. I am helping a Chapman relative with his family history. He is descended from Edward (who I believe is Sarah's brother, who Lynne is researching). Thank you.

hi lady penelope glad you are enjoying this thread..yes my 3 x gt grandfather henry harrington had a son william and he married sarah chapman....its a great shame that the old manor house is no longer there..

lyn

thanks bernie..the neighbours were all signing a petition demanding better housing..

lyn

Back