• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

manor house nechells

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi mike..in my family tree i have a thomas chapman b 1821 but all the address says on the census is manor house nechells..wonder if i could have a map marking it out if you can locate it for me please..his occupation says thomas ran a stage coach service from aston to brum..

thank you mike

lyn

Hi Lyn

I wonder does the following "fit" your Thomas Chapman or possibly a son of his? From the Bham Daily Post 3rd March 1891

Suzanne

Attachments

• 3March1891ThomasChapman.jpg
    3March1891ThomasChapman.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
Lyn

This is the Manor House shortly before they decided to demolish it, the location was on Chattaway Street quite close to Cook Street. I'm sure Mike will be able to pinpoint it foe you.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Nechells Manor House Chattaway St By Cook St   .jpg
    Nechells Nechells Manor House Chattaway St By Cook St .jpg
    122 KB · Views: 86
Hi Lyn

I wonder does the following "fit" your Thomas Chapman or possibly a son of his?

Suzanne

crikey suzanne..yes thats my thomas chapman....his daughter sarah married my gt gt gt grandfathers son william harrington in 1838

my eyes are not that good even with glasses but the add more or less says..

the executors of the will of the late mr thomas chapman are instructed to sell by auction on tues march 17th 1891 the very valuable property comprising of the manor house and 3 houses..ajoining land in the rear thereof 3200 square yards...

oh phil that you so much for that pic..i bet it was once a splendid building ...thank you both so much i just cant take in all the info on this part of my family that ive received over the past 3 days..

lyn

Last edited:
Oh Good Lyn:) Very nice house and here is something relating to the previous owner from Daily Post 22 Aug 1866 Must have been very grand. Wouldn't mind having those pieces he was selling:)

Attachments

• 22Aug1866.jpg
    22Aug1866.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
suzanne i think this pic looks like it could have been taken in the manor house then...this is clara harrington..her mother was sarah chapman daughter of thomas chapman..

harrington clara.jpg

lyn

Ooh great Lyn. She certainly looks as if she's sitting somewhere grand. It's all coming together now:)

Suzanne

well i cant take it all in suzanne..im writing all this down as fast as i can...will go and read your previous post..

The 1881 census records the address as 56, Manor House, Chattaway Street, Aston - Thomas is a bus proprietor.

Suzanne

The 1881 census records the address as 56, Manor House, Chattaway Street, Aston - Thomas is a bus proprietor.

Suzanne

thank for that suzanne..yes i also got him as running stage coach from aston to brum..

suzanne i was just wondering if you could find any ref to how much the manor house sold for in 1891 please..

cheers

lyn

Lyn
It was close to the junction with cook St. Hope this c1889 map is OK

map_c_1889_chatterway_st.jpg

thanks lynne...

oh mike i am asking a lot of you today but could you go back to the map please and mark out 54 chattaway st...
silly me it was next door to the manor house which was no 56...so william was the boy next door then..
thanks mike..

suzanne i was just wondering if you could find any ref to how much the manor house sold for in 1891 please..

cheers

lyn

Hi Lyn
I saw that in the 1891 census there isn't anyone listed at 56 Chattaway STREET. Haven't found a sale price for the Manor House but there is a property mentioned in the Bham Post dated 11 June 1891 as "Lot 5 Chattaway Street, nechells, numbers 15 to 21" Wonder if there in any way related to the other residences Thomas owned as was mentioned in the previous article concerning his will?

Suzanne

Lot5.jpg

thats a good point suzanne because the sale notice says the manor house and 3 houses..as lynne pointed out william harrington was next door at no 54 on the 1881 census...i guess its possable that thomas chapman owned this house and maybe william worked for him..fell in love with the girl next door and married...im getting all mushy now and its starting to sound like a catherine cookson novel... lol...would be interesting to find out williams occupation in 1881..may give us a clue..

lyn

Last edited:
Anyone know when it was demolished? I'm interested because I worked at Foseco Ltd on the corner of Long Acre and Holborne Hill, just across from Chattaway Street, and there was a lot of demolition going on around the late 1970's (including our favourite caff on Long Acre, near the corner with Chattaway Street).

Congrats upon your elevation to the aristocracy, Lyn!

G

Here you go Lyn, mention of the sale of the property 9th March 1891 except they've called it Pittaway Street:) You're in good company Lyn as the Manor House was errected by a member of the Aston/Holte Family:)

Suzanne

Attachments

• 9thMarch1891.jpg
    9thMarch1891.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Anyone know when it was demolished? I'm interested because I worked at Foseco Ltd on the corner of Long Acre and Holborne Hill, just across from Chattaway Street, and there was a lot of demolition going on around the late 1970's (including our favourite caff on Long Acre, near the corner with Chattaway Street).

Congrats upon your elevation to the aristocracy, Lyn!

G

oh god big gee i will never live it down lol....

suzanne even when i save this article and zoom in i cant make out what it says...would it be better just to post the little bit of the article...

this is really fantastic..

Back