• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

manor house nechells

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Henry Chapman was a cab proprietor in 1879. The RSPCA tried to prosecute him for ill treatment of a horse but the case was dismissed. Viv.

image.jpeg

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I remember this cutting from when I was researching the Chapmans. Many cabbies turned to drink and I think this may have been Henry's downfall.

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Viv, I think these bus drivers were a breed apart don't you? Mind you, I wouldn't like to have done their job. Even when they'd finished their working hours they still had to sort out the horse and bus.

Ivor Williams

master brummie
I read in a history of Aston that in the domesday book Aston was eastwards of a Manor House. Experts have ruled out that it wasn't Nechells Manor House. I didn't know Nechells did have a Manor House. Can anyone enlighten me on that?
Moved post from another thread

Last edited by a moderator:

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Earlier the manor house was sold in 1852 and 1858, as shown in Aris's Birmingham gazette
Aris birm gaz.27.9.1858.jpgaris birm gaz.29.12.1851.jpg