• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

manager

kembar

knowlegable brummie
my granfather lived at110 new summer street, he was a beer retailer and manager,

in 1889 there was no lincesed premises at this address,can any one tell me why this so.
Kembar.

Have you looked elsewhere in the street? One of my relatives owned a pub but he didn't live in it, he lived further down the street. However some of his relatives did live at the pub even though they did not work there.

The numbering in directories seems to have altered slightly , but I think we can definitely say no 110 is the one marked so in the map. Ward st is on the far left. To the left of no 110 are licensed premises, which was a beerhouse. In the 1888 directory it is listed it as 108, and in some later directories as 106. It disappears from Kellys between 1921 & 1932.
In addition to the earlier reason given for him not living on the premises there is the possibility that the owners of the pub lived there, but employed a manager to run it. If he was next door then that would be quite easy. what was the name of your grandfather. He might be listed in other directories

Back