• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Man on the moon pub.

Hi, my aunt and uncle Mary & Albert Plumpton managed this pub in the 1960s. They changed the name from man in the moon to man on the moon at the time of the first ”moon landing”. That was quite a spectacular occasion. Does anyone have any memories from around this time? I’d love to see some pictures ( I emailed the brewery but sadly there was nothing forthcoming. Best wishes

welcome to the forum DMR..we do have a section for pubs so i moving this thread to the pubs section...where was the pub i have heard of it but can not place its location?

lyn

Hi lyn
I’ve just looked it up and it’s redditch Rd b38 says kings norton but I’m sure they used to call it rednall , perhaps boundaries have changed?

ok are you looking for a photo of it....if so i will check my files...

lyn

DMR welcome, I spent many a night in the lounge at The Man on the Moon I remember when they changed the name I was not there but it was on TV a big deal at the time, great way to get some press and free advertising, located on the corner of Redhill Road and the Redditch Road, park in the rear and enter the lounge from the parking lot my time line there 75-80 I have no idea what its like today has I have not lived in England since 1980 but all my memories from that time there are good it was our go to place back then.

Did Mary and Albert manage another pub in Brum called the Longbridge, located on the corner of Ashill and the Bristol Road across from what is now Morrisons, the pub is no longer there a small block of flats are there now.

Here is the reason for my question I went to school across the street from the Longbridge pub and the gaffer's name was "Plumpton" he had a son and a daughter and I went to school with Marie ? I think I have her name correct,

Just seems to much of a coincidence 2 Plumpton's both gaffers at pubs so close in about the same time frame unless they were brothers ?, he would have managed the Longbridge first if he was at the Moon when the name got Changed

Last edited:
The Man in/on the Moon has been there a while. I refereed to the place in my recent pubs with bus connections thread. It was a turn back point on the Rednal tram route pre WW2.

well it most certainly is still there...here is google street view

DMR welcome, I spent many a night in the lounge at The Man on the Moon I remember when they changed the name I was not there but it was on TV a big deal at the time, great way to get some press and free advertising, located on the corner of Redhill Road and the Redditch Road, park in the rear and enter the lounge from the parking lot my time line there 75-80 I have no idea what its like today has I have lived in England since 1980 but all my memories from that time there are good it was our go to place back then.

Did Mary and Albert manage another pub in Brum called the Longbridge, located on the corner of Ashill and the Bristol Road across from what is now Morrisons, the pub is no longer there a small block of flats are there now.

Here is the reason for my question I went to school across the street from the Longbridge pub and the gaffer's name was "Plumpton" he had a son and a daughter and I went to school with Marie ? I think I have her name correct,

Just seems to much of a coincidence 2 Plumpton's both gaffers at pubs so close in about the same time frame unless they were brothers ?, he would have managed the Longbridge first if he was at the Moon when the name got Changed
Hello, thanks for your message. Yes they did manage the longbridge either before or after my other aunt and uncle Eileen and ted ash. Sadly Marie May and Albert daughter died aged 13 she was struck by lightening out horse riding by the man on the moon. I don’t know what happened to Paul when he grew up.

Here is an image in 1950 from an earlier post

View attachment 135726
Wow this brings back memories, thank you. They kept their Alsatians on the flat roof at the back you can see. One got so agitated at the sheep in the field out the back he jumped down.....

I used to put my sister in the food lift and send her up and down from the kitchen upstairs to the pub kitchen, screaming all the way ( she was about 4 or 5) before health and safety !

Spent many a night in there in the early 70's, remember the night they change the name from The Man in The Moon.
My aunt had a dress made out of a Union Jack, a glamorous gown, & their were lots of Americans there, Cadillacs in the car park etc ( presumably from the brewery) the staff were standing on pallets behind the bar as they were paddling in beer.

Thank you. I’m after photos of that night particularly, hoping to spot some family members in them

you could check the british newspaper archives online....it may have been reported when they changed the name of the pub for such an historic reason...you have to subscribe but some of our members who are already subscribed may be able to search for you

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: DMR
Hello, thanks for your message. Yes they did manage the longbridge either before or after my other aunt and uncle Eileen and ted ash. Sadly Marie May and Albert daughter died aged 13 she was struck by lightening out horse riding by the man on the moon. I don’t know what happened to Paul when he grew up.
Yes I knew Marie got struck by lightening I did not want to say in my first post it was all over the school when it happened not only because she was in my class, but I had never heard of any one getting struck by lightening, the school we attended was Colmers Farm.

All the land across from the Man on the Moon was pasture so horse riding trails where all over, the road across from the pub lead to Wythall, and all that was country,

It would be Kings Norton/West heath the next major road was Longbrigde Lane that went to the Austin's and Bristol Road

thats great mike..nice clear photo as well..although the report does not mention the landlady and landlords names as mary and albert plumpton i would think they are standing in the middle of the photo...DMR would know

Last edited:
Was it really 50 years ago? Oh my goodness, I remember that time quite well, I worked for Multi Broadcast in Acocks Green at that time, Multi Broadcast was a TV rental company, and the company loaned the renamed pub top of the range colour televisions for the duration of the take off, flight, moon landing and return, the manager (Mike?, Engineer Tony and myself delivered installed and set up said televisions, Mike? was the manager, Tony, Joe, Engineers, and Margaret receptionist, Jill was also a receptionist there and at the other branch in Solihull (the posh shop, as was Jill, very posh) Tony & Margaret were quite an item, often wondered if they got married or not?

hi DMR have you seen post 18 which contains a photo and newspaper article...i well remember watching man land on the moon 50 years ago today :)

lyn

Last edited:
Mary and Albert were old family friends of my Nan. I remember when they changed the name of the pub. Certainly looking at he photo above, I don't recognise either of them.The last time I remember seeing Mary was at my Nan's funeral which was back in 1995.

Here is a photo of them changing the sign and how it was reported in the Birmingham Post

View attachment 135729View attachment 135730
The man at the top of the ladder holding the sign is my Grandad! He told us this story the other day, one we had never heard before. He has since lost the newspaper article and I'm trying to track it down. Do you happen to know the date the image was in the paper, was it the following day? Ideally would love to find the whole newspaper page. Thanks so much for sharing this image though! He turns 80 soon and he will be so happy to see this again.

hi lamiparks29 so pleased that you have a photo now of your grandad up the ladder changing the pub name..at least if you had to visit the birmingham library to view the newspaper article i would think it was reported after the moon landing and the trip back to earth was a success so after the end of june onwards at a guess as i doubt it would have been before that just in the trip was not a success

lyn

lamiparks29,

The text is from the Birmingham Daily Post dated 12 July 1969 Page 38. I have yet to locate the picture.

However, a search of the British Library Archives around the date of 20 July 1969 has failed to reveal the photograph. As these online archives do not contain all Birmingham newspapers after 1950, it's possible it came from a different paper.

Maurice

Last edited:
thats great maurice as i thought after the end of june...i maybe getting mixed up here but i thought mike had posted the pic of lampiparks grandad up the ladder on post 18 or maybe there is another one to find..

lyn

Back