• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Maltsters And The Birmingham Brewing Industry

Rob Derry

master brummie
At least two generations of my Jones lineage were malsters. Thomas born in Tipton c1833 is regularly described as such in censuses and marriage / birth certificates that or a labourer to a malster. He moved to Hockley in the late 1860s. His father William was also a malster born around 1800 in Handsworth but he is a bit more elusive. Other than providing malt for the brewers not entirely sure what they did so if anyone has any ideas!

I would say some of the replies on that link are a little inaccurate. I doubt if many, if any, farmers or small licensees malted their own barley. Malting was usually carried out in a maltings which might be part of a large brewery or a separate enterprise, who then sold the product to the brewer (who might be a brewery that supplied others, or just themselves or possible a couple of other licensees. the term maltster would also be used for an experienced employee who worked for an employer (either as part of a brewery or as a separate maltings)

Ok so you think they were likely employed by a brewery rather than supplying malt to a brewery? I have seen one census entry where someone is described as a journeyman malster is that likely to be independent or just experienced do you think ?

you most likely know this but a journeyman is someone learning a trade

by the way rob i did reply to your private message..

Here's my fourpennorth - my uncle was a journeyman roofer which meant he was self-employed and moved from job to job - hence the 'journey' bit.

I agree with Lady P, that a journeyman was an independent wprker.
Rob
Did not mean to imply that he definitely worked for someone else, just thta in the census it could be either that he was independent or worked for someone else

ahh well i stand corrected folks..for years i always thought that a journeyman was someone who moved from place to place working but then i was told it was someone who was learning their trade so it looks like my first thoughts were correct:D

lyn

Ok so you think they were likely employed by a brewery rather than supplying malt to a brewery? I have seen one census entry where someone is described as a journeyman malster is that likely to be i
Can the thread please be headed with the word "Maltster" and not "Malster". I know it's obvious what is meant but the incorrect spelling could affect subsequent searches.
Not to be confused with "Malteser" which is a confectionery of milk chocolate surrounding a spherical malt honeycomb structure and has the property, for me, of having eaten just one, finding that I have to consume the whole packet in less than 5 minutes! Dave.
thats how I see it spelt in censuses and on certificates but I agree maltster would seem the right spelling

Back