• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Malthouse Lane Washwood Heath

Les

master brummie
Does anyone have any information about the mill or malt house that stood at the junction of Malthouse Lane and Salisbury Road in Washwood Heath. I can vaguely remember the ruins of it in the 50's before rebuilding took place in these roads.

Hello I am trying to access the above link but whenever I try it just says that safari can not open the page or cannot be found. Does anyone know what the thread said or whether it is still possible to access.
many thanks Jane Fulford

Thx Mike I saw your msg and I know there were Fulford‘s living on Malthouse Lane and wondered if there was a brewing connection. So often street names relate to what was happening there. I’m not sure how to take this any further. would anyone here know how best to trace the origins of street names?
i am aware of the time you have taken in replying so thanks again

Does anyone have any information about the mill or malt house that stood at the junction of Malthouse Lane and Salisbury Road in Washwood Heath. I can vaguely remember the ruins of it in the 50's before rebuilding took place in these roads.
Hello Les - that house was my family home until I left - It was a 200 year old Malt house - divided into 2 - one half no: 56 was my gran and grandads house - Mary and Arthur Wilmot my mothers parents and where she grew up along with her other 5 siblings- the other half was our house no 54 - Winnie and George Truman - I was one of 6 children there - Jean, margaret, me carol, janet. john and david - we do have 1 blurred photo of the place in my brother davids keeping I think with a few of dad also in our garden. Dad died there in 1965 and mom didnt stay very long after that, the council housed her at stetchford in a modern house. long before even gran and grandad lived there I believe relatives of Grandad lived there and as was the custom my grandfather exchanged money so they could live there then. It had quite a bit of ground to it and as a child I remember grandad had a 3 storey loft and raised pigs there he also had about 8 horses and would show them after they had been dressed up for May day at Pathe news in the cinema on the washwood heath road. He eventually turned all the out buildings into garages and let them out to local people. best wishes carol

Back