• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

malkin of coventry road sheldon.

magicmalkin

Brummie babby
Bill(billy) Malkin antiques on coventry road 1950's-1960's,where was this in relation to the Waggon and Horses,I remember going there with my Dad to visit Bill(my uncle) in the early '50's,was'nt there a showman's van in the car park?

Hi magicmalkin,
I found William G Malkin and presumably his wife Thelma, listed in the Electoral Roll for 1955 living in Wagon Lane at number 11, this happened to be next door to the grandparents of a family I know. I have just spoken to the lady who lived there from birth until she married in 1964 and she does remember the Malkins. They had the house that was nearest to the Coventry Road on Wagon Lane side which ran behind or should I say to the side of The Wagon and Horses. This part of Wagon Lane was and still is, a short stretch of road between the 2 carriageways of the Coventry Road, but a continuation of the main Wagon Lane.
She doesnt recall him being an Antique Dealer as such or running a business from there, but she said that he did have outbuildings in his grounds and he used to bring things and put them in the outbuildings.
Maybe he had a shop elsewhere ??
She doesnt recall a showmans van either.
Hope this helps anyway
The house is in the red circle
1938 marked.jpg

Hi Robert, I don't know personally but I can ask tomorrow for you, unless anyone else knows.

Hi Robert, I asked about the goat/lamb... the lady said she couldnt remember one being there but that isnt to say that there wasnt..
Sorry I cant give you a more conclusive answer.

I think I can supply a bit more in the Malkin Saga. There would have been a sheep in the yard and also a Shetland Pony. It belonged to Bill's, then housekeepers daughter. She late went on to go in to partnership with Bill in the antique business. There was a very good chance thet there was a Travellers wagon parked there as well as Bill had a history with Fairgrounds.
How do I know all this? I marred the housekeepers daughter. :)

Thank you so much for posting cwtears :encouragement: There is nothing like having first hand information .. would you happen to have any photos of the house, which might possibly include the bungalow next door, that you could share please ??

Hello magic Malkin. My father was Bill Malkin. He was from the Birmingham area but moved to the Isle of Wight with his second wife in 1970. I presume if it's the same Bill Malkin, then we are related.

Hello magic Malkin. My father was Bill Malkin. He was from the Birmingham area but moved to the Isle of Wight with his second wife in 1970. I presume if it's the same Bill Malkin, then we are related.
Hi I'm Mark Malkin . My Dad was Barry, son of Emmanuel (Codge) , Bills brother . Would love to learn more about my family history as Dad always told me we had Romany blood :)

Who used to own the antique shop that used to be on the Coventry Road, Sheldon. It's now a bike shop, next to McDonalds (I think), just up from Gilbertstone Ave.

Back