• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Major Fire At Nechells Power Station 1970.

Laurie_B

master brummie
Back in the summer of 1970,demolition contractors were dismantling the old wooden cooling towers at Nechells A Power Station.They had been using gas cutting equipment to remove some iron piping.A fire was later noticed and the alarm raised.A report into the fire appeared in the 'Fire' magazine.Also attached is an old photo of the cooling towers being built (c1920).

Attachments

• Fire 05 - Copy.jpg
    Fire 05 - Copy.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 55
  • NechellsACoolingTowerPonds-5.jpg
    NechellsACoolingTowerPonds-5.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 54
I do remember those wooden cooling towers and the subsequent fire. Nice to see a photo of them. I am sure I recall the still had the camouflage paint on them, or it was on the building, from the war

I think the buildings may have had camouflage applied,not sure about the cooling towers though.
Nechells Power Station was on the Luftwaffe's list of targets,as the reconnaissance photo shows.
gravelly-hill-birmingham-midlands-8th-june-1939-nechells-power-station-BMXPC1.jpg

Despite cloud shadows and possible camouflage the recognisance photograph gave perfect detail. Noticeable is the date; three months before we declared war on Germany.
That map contained tremendous strategic information as not only was the Nechells and Saltley energy production areas clearly pinpointed, GEC, Metro Cammell vehicle works, James Booth who is listed for aluminium manufacture. all which were highly strategic places and vital to our forthcoming war effort.

GEC Witton was known as HMS Witton it manufactured watertight rotating electrical equipment for submarines the Foreman in charge was Dudley Pool and was awarded the British Empire Medal for his services.

The rotating motors was place in tanks of water and tested in working condition as they were totally enclose.
In the 1950's the Big Shop made motor /generators on trailers for dockside charging of submarine batteries also generators for surface mounted vessels.
Fan Dept made ceiling fans for the Royal Navy GEC Witton has had a history of making rotating plant for armed services including the electric motors for the Centurain tanks radar motors for radar scanning in the Vulcan Bombers.

Despite cloud shadows and possible camouflage the recognisance photograph gave perfect detail. Noticeable is the date; three months before we declared war on Germany.
That map contained tremendous strategic information as not only was the Nechells and Saltley energy production areas clearly pinpointed, GEC, Metro Cammell vehicle works, James Booth who is listed for aluminium manufacture. all which were highly strategic places and vital to our forthcoming war effort.

Back