• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

maintenance

eddlowe

master brummie
this is an odd question but im hoping somebody can help
in the 1950s if somebody was claiming maintenance from a absent father how would it be paid presuming it was ordered by a court, would it be paid by the court in cash on collection by the recipient, or by payment book, or would the father be responsible for paying the money direct to the recipient, or would the whole issue be conducted by post using postal orders. any thoughts on this would be appreciated. edd

Hi, I know my mother used to have to go to the courts to collect it on a certain day.........the disappointment when it wasn't there....and when it was, the trip to the markets to stock up or Lewis's for school uniform.

Yes I remember my mother collecting her £2 a week (for 2 children £1 per child) each week from a side office of the Courts in Newton Street on Saturdays on the odd occasion that my father bothered to pay it in. The courts it seemed had very little power to enforce these orders, either that or they just couldn't be bothered.

As someone who had to pay maintenance i had to make the trip to the courts and pay over the counter and get a receipt,this was in the70`s and the onus was on the father to make payment which in my view was not very satisfactory if at times one couldn`t make it to the courts and the mother turns up and finds no money

to all who replied a big thank you, i suspected this was the case but could not be certain.im now off on holls for a week think i,ll go rusty
edd

I used to collect my maintenace from Sutton courts every Friday, £3 for my 3 children. Most Fridays it was there I must say.

Have a good holiday edd..................you may get a tan & not rusty as the sun has been promised at least down here in Cornwall, it is a great day here today

Back