• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Maiers Winter Update Part II

Maiers Winter Update Part II-THE CHILDREN

SIMON WINTER-SON
It seems that Simon died young in the Erdington Infirmary, Aston and at the same time as his mother.

I was wondering if this could be our Simon-though of course the birth year is out. I believe Erdington Infirmary was the workhouse and people could be buried in pauper’s graves. Certainly if the hospital buried him it would in Witton and registered at Aston. Simon died 1919 in Erdington Infirmary. The record from probate states that he had an estate of 15 pounds 2 shillings and pence at death on 21st March 1919 and that it was bequeathed to his father Isaac at 98 St Lukes Road.

Deaths Mar 1919

Winter Samuel S 29 Aston 6d 948

YETTA WINTER RING -DAUGHTER

Bryan, The Minstrel Boy was trying to trace two families from KONIN in Poland. The first family is a mystery as we know that they left England from Liverpool in 1920 to go to America. Later they returned to the UK and lived in Manchester and later Liverpool. It seems possible that one or both families lived in Birmingham for a while before their marriage.

The man’s name was Harry or Harold RING. It seems that he got this name from a Mr. Hyman ????????. The name could not be pronounced by the officials on entry to UK and so he is reputed to have put his wedding ring on the counter, hence the name RING. His wife was Yetta WINTER.

"Hi there, my wife is descended from two Jewish families in (I hope I spell this right) Kronjin or Konjin in Poland. The lady who was her g grandmother was known as YETTA WINTER who was an Immigrant to the UK at the turn of the 20th century, the problem is that she anglicized her name and I don't know who to look for.
Problem two, her g grandfather could not speak English. He was a jeweller and, on his Immigration to the UK he took off his wedding Ring to try to explain his occupation and they gave him the name HARRY RING. Again I don't know who to look for. HARRY RING and YETTA WINTER married in KRONJIN or KONJIN but no one in the family knows when.Is there anyone, anyone at all, who can help me to help my wife find her long lost roots?"
From Bryan, the Wild Celt, Dum Spiro - Spero. Bryan’s address in 2004 was Bryan-Douglas Mathews, “Bodnant, 24 Bronalt Groes, Denbigh, LL16 5RT.

"Yetta Winter married Harry Ring from Poland. They were both Jewish and Yetta came from either Liverpool or Manchester. Very little is known of this family so your input is valued. Contact me if you have Information at:[email protected]".

Hyman Ring, Yetta Ring and Doris Ring are on the Incoming Passenger Lists for 15th June 1921. They gave an address of 21 Brougham Road, Seacombe, Cheshire and he was described as a salesman. He was 45 and Yetta was 35. They sailed from New Orleans to Liverpool.

Then in 1953 a Yetta Ring sailed on the Britannic to Liverpool from New York. She gave her address as 19 Sunfield Rd, Leasowe, Cheshire. She gave her age as 69.

Marriages Jun 1911
Yetta Wynter Birmingham 6d 327
Hyman Ring Birmingham 6d 327

Births Jun 1912
Doris F Ring mmn Winter Birkenhead 8a 1065

Marriage June 1935
Doris F Ring
Charles A Macauley Liverpool

Births Sept 1935
Doreen L Macauley Liverpool

Just checked on the Ellis island website for a trip that Hyman and Yetta Ring made reaching New York on July 19th, 1920 which was to visit her brother Isaac Winter in Chicago. In fact they were on the same voyage as the 3 younger-Winter sisters. Therefore she is definitely the other sister. Hyman Ring’s mother, Rebecca was still alive and living in Seacombe.

The shipping manifest lists Yetta as 5 feet 6 inches tall, with a fresh complexion, brown hair and brown eyes and a mole. She states she was born in Knine and was age 35. Hyman is described as a Traveller and has a fair complexion, grey hair and eyes and he was born in Manchester. He was age 45.

1921 saw the start of Prohibition in Chicago. Maybe they got scared of the gangsters who were around in Chicago at that time as they had a child, and decided to come back to England. So their emigration only lasted 1 year before they came home from USA.

In 1931 Fanny Winter visited Yetta Winter Ring at 11 Church street, Seacombe, Wallasey, Cheshire from Chicago.

In 1935 Rose visited her sister Yetta Winter Ring at 62 Buchanan Road, Seacombe, Wallasey, Cheshire also from Chicago.

In 1953 Fanny Winter visited again at 21 Church street, Egrement, Cheshire.

This is fantastic your research has certainly paid off well done.

Back