• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Magdalen Chapel Immanuel Chapel

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
Extracted from another thread.

I have done a bit of work on the Architect Henry Naden, he did a couple of building in and around Birmingham.

Henry Naden was a Birmingham Architect based at 54, Livery Street, Birmingham. He was responsible for designing several buildings, including:

Magdalene Chapel, Birmingham 1861-1863, Excepting 'side walls'. Naden responsible for initial plans; Holmes for plans for new chapel, 1863.

Has anyone a picture of this?

Details from British History online:

IMMANUEL, Birmingham (Broad St.), originated as a chapel licensed by the bishop and known as Magdalen Chapel, which was opened in 1839. The new church of Immanuel, on the same site, was consecrated in 1865, and a parish was assigned to it out of St. Thomas's, Birmingham. The building was designed by E. Holmes; it is in the Decorated style, the west front and small southwest spire being of stone and the rest of the church, which is not visible from the street, of brick. The living, a perpetual curacy until 1874 when it became a vicarage, is in the gift of the trustees of St. Martin's. In 1939 the parish and in 1946 the benefice were united with those of St. Thomas, Birmingham, the united benefice being known as St. Thomas and Immanuel.

Viv.

Showell’s Dictionary of Birmingham..,

Magdalen Asylum and Refuge.—First established in 1828, the chapel in Broad Street being opened in 1839. Removed to Clarendon Road, Edgbaston, in 1860. There are usually from 35 to 40 inmates, whose labour provides for great part of the yearly expenditure; and it is well that it is so, for the subscriptions and donations from the public are not sent in so freely as could be wished. The treasurer is Mr. S.S. Lloyd.

Historically the name Magdalene or Maudlin has been associated with leprosy and leper houses. Leprosy was known in the UK from early Roman times and was mostly eradicated by the 18th. century I gather.
However it does exist, in very small numbers in the UK, usually in populations originating from Africa and the Far East. One problem seems to be and that is recognising it these days and not believing it to be other skin diseases.

Wonder if Magdalen Asylum site on Bill Dargue's map was historically (pre-1800s) anything to do with leprosy as in Radiorails post #4 ? Viv.

I was curious where it was exactly. I am also amazed I can't seem to find a photo as it was in use after the war (it had been joined to St Thomas's and was re-opened after it was destroyed).
upload_2018-2-27_16-54-24.png

The 1839 map from Bill Dargue's site says the Immanuel was built on the site of the Magdalen Asylum's chapel, maybe one of the smaller buildings nearer Bishopsgate. The Asylum was founded in 1828. The chapel wasn't built until 1838. Viv.

image.png

I remember Immanuel in Broad Street from my youth. I am sure it has been mentioned on this forum because I did not remember it at first until someone posted a photo. However a search does not find it

Wonder if Magdalene Asylum site on Bill Dargue's map was historically (pre-1800s) anything to do with leprosy as in Radiorails post #4 ? Viv.
I suppose there is a possibility Vivienne that the new structure was built on a former Lazar ground. I believe most Lazars in the UK disappeared at the time of the suppression (land grab) of Henry VIII. I am also of the impression that they remained undeveloped for a long while given the fears of people especially in view of their former use.
The 19th. century was a time of big influx of rural migrants and one can assume, due to family deaths, deserting fathers and husbands, that the place mentioned by Bill Dargue was part of the philanthropic establishments set up in Britain so vividly described in Dickens novels.
I think that the siting of Lazars must be significant. I might look into it. The only place I know locally that had a lazae is Totnes and the road is known as Maudlin Road which gives the clue to its name origin.

Posting an image originally posted by Stitcher on the Broad Street thread as he believed this view showed the Chapel. Viv. image.jpeg

At the annual meeting of the Magdalen Asylum in March 1859 (just before the Asylum moved to its Rotton Park premises), the Revd Spooner asked about the future use of the Chapel in Broad Street. There's nothing we can glean from the meeting except that his questions were answered and it didn't raise anything of public interest. So presumably the Chapel just continued its work with local parishioners. (When the Asylum moved, the appointments of a Matron and other staff were made who took responsibility for the religious instruction of the girls). Viv.

image.jpeg
From Birmingham Daily Post March 1859

A glimpse of Immanuel Chapel (right edge) can be seen in this pre-1920 image. The stonework matches that in Stitcher's image in post # 13. Viv.

image.jpeg
Source: Library of Birmingham archives

Reading up about the Magdalene Chapel, I was surprised to find that it was a Church of England institution, Most Magdalene Asylums were Roman Catholic Institutions and the Catholic Church in Ireland has had to apologise for the abuse with which young women and girls were treated in Magdalene/Maudlin Asylums. Effectively women and girls could be locked up on the whim of the parish priest and forced into slave labour in laundries. The Irish Government has also had to apologise because they referred many women and girls to them.

The name comes from St Mary Magdalene whom Pope Gregory the Great labeled and libeled as a reformed prostitute. It took the Vatican 1300 years to admit that he made a mistake. The Roman Catholic Church does have a problem about Papal infallability.

Not wishing to start a debate but this has nothing to do with 'infallibility'. Infallible pronouncements are made ex cathedra - that is from the papal chair (throne) in St. Peters. Pope Gregory's comment was made in 591 AD in a homily (sermon). Problems about infallibility are more a non-Catholic problem as far as I can see.

Returning to the Immanuel Chapel's architecture, a full description is attached. This is from a much longer report of the memorial stone laying ceremony. The earlier (Magdalen) chapel on the same site provided for 500 people but the Immanuel Chapel could accommodate 1000 parishioners.

It closed in 1939 and was earmarked for demolition. But the Chapel was re-opened after WW2 bomb damage to St Thoms's on Bath Row. See attachment below.

Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Great Janice. Both that photo and OMs now give us a very good idea of the Chapel - perseverance has paid off !! Viv.

Back