• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Magdalen Asylum Islington St Birmingham

Geminidi

proper brummie kid
I have a record of a Harriett Galey/Gailey being an inmate’s in 1841. Am I on the correct website to find out any more information?

hi and welcome...what sort of info are you looking for...are you looking for info about the actual asylum itself

lyn

Hi and thank you. I would like to know more about the asylum and why she could have been there. Didn't the Magdalene Asylums begin in Ireland? Could she have had an illigitimate child? If so the child possibly died? Harriet later married James Fowler who was about 12 years senior and on the 1851 Census the children listed are from his previous marriage.

Hi Lyn. Still finding my way around this very interesting site :grinning: I see you already have a thread going for the Magdalene Asylum. Was there only ever one? I see Harriet's parents had died just before the 1841 Census so perhaps she was destitute.

Hi Lyn. Still finding my way around this very interesting site :grinning: I see you already have a thread going for the Magdalene Asylum. Was there only ever one? I see Harriet's parents had died just before the 1841 Census so perhaps she was destitute.
Found this map which shows the asylums location on what was Islington Street, which I think is now the end of Broad Street

Attachments

• Map broad street.jpg
    Map broad street.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 8
Hi
There is also a thread on this site with info on Magdalen Asylum called "Magdalen Asylum" You can find a lot more information on there. Hope this helps

Back