• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mackie & Gladstone

W

Wendy

Yet again a wonderfull photo Cromwell!I wish I had your Library.

P

prawntrawl

I have two soda syphons from this company, C1910, but they are from Birkenhead & Liverpool. I also have two beer bottles C1940 but they only state Mackie Birminghan. Was the Gladstone droped at some point?

O

O.C.

If I remember correctly the photo was taken on the eve of the Great War 1913-14 ...these old Sentinel steam tractions were bought by the Brewery to replace the horse.....but most of them were requisitioned by the War Department when war broke out in 1914 ...I have a pic somewhere of one carrying troops

M

MJH

MacKie and Gladstone, LTD. The early partners of this company were my gg grandmother's uncles...Her name was Margaret Gladstone b 1827 in Leadhills, Scotland. She was a "natural child" of one of the Gladstone brothers (John, who died perhaps in 1835). Margaret grew up in lead mining villages in Scotland--her mother's father was a lead miner. Margaret probably knew little about her own father's family...I am interested in learning about the company's history (--early and recent) and seeing the images of the wagon, etc. I am also interested in learning more about the Gladstones and the MacKie's themselves. Margaret's uncle Thomas Gladstone b 1812 lived in Edgaston, King's Norton 1861-1901. His brothers and a sister were in Liverpool and Manchester and elsewhere in the census records from the mid 1800s....most of them, wine and spirit merchants....Meanwhile I have information about the family's origins in Scotland for anyone who's interested...Thanks.

M

MJH

A little follow up on my previous post here...

The father of these wine merchant Gladstone's was John Gladstone---an "eminent millwright who died at Castle Douglas," according to the people at the Gladstone Court Museum in Biggar (one source says in 1825). Their mother was Elizabeth Muir. She died in Liverpool in 1841 with some of her wine & spirit merchant sons in her home or living near by, including Thomas Gladstone who ended up living at Edgaston, King's Norton, Birmingham by the late 1840s. As I mentioned in my other post, you'll find him in the census records there through 1901. The folks at the Gladstone Court Museum say these wine merchants had business ties with the Prime Minister's father---spent time in Jamaica, where he had sugar plantations. ... (a connection about which I have mixed feelings, given that the PM's father held slaves there)....Would be happy for any further information regarding these people and their company and its dealings...Does anyone know if Gladstone St at King's Norton was named for them or for the Prime Minister? I hope it was the latter...Thanks. MJH

M

MJH

Hi,

I saw your post on the MacKie and Gladstone forum. Could you please check out my posts there? You will then understand why I have an interest in yours...Thanks, MJH

S

SWG

I have a Gladstone family tree written, I guess, in the late C19. It starts with John Gladstone and Elizabeth Muir and shows your John who died in 1835. I am descended from Thomas, John's youngest brother, and would love to hear what you know about the origins of the Gladstone family.
Thanks, SWG.

M

MJH

Hi,

It may make more sense for us to correspond by email and for me to invite you to see my private online tree. My earlier post contained a typo. I know your Thomas Gladstone was b ca 1821 (not 1812) at Castle Douglas, Kelton, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland. I have quite a few documents for him and his family of origin (you have the correct parents), including his death record at King's Grange, Urr. Please post your email address and we can go from there. I am not sure this thread is intended for genealogy. Ill be happy to post here anything that is relevant to the thread.

Cheers,
MJH

S

SWG

Hi,

Thanks for your message, BT have only just managed to connect me to Broadband so I am very new to this and didn't know the protocol! I agree that direct contact would be much easier and my email is [email protected]

Look forward to hearing from you.

Anthony Collins

proper brummie kid
Old Steam Driven wagon of Mackie & Gladstone
Dear OC
What a great photo of the steam wagon. Have you any objection if I use this please. I researching John Bowen the builders who built an extension in 1936 in the Dalton Place bottling plant. Thanks Anthony Collins

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hello anthony OC is no longer a member of the forum but so long as you do not use the photo for profit or gain i see no objections in you using it for your research

lyn