• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

M.M.Lilley packing case makers

clemwatts

Brummie babby
hi im clem watts i was born in kingstanding birmingham on the 03-06 -1939 my 2nd job at 15 yrs old was m.m.lilley packing case makers in 1954 i was making wooden boxes for matchets then took them over to the crockerdile works in lower alma st my works was in summer lane newtown aston anyone know of these firms

Re: Just Trying - Something

George Garret, John Houghton, Harry Murphy,Dennis Hillman, Tommy Marks, Bill Salter. Ivor Newby, Miles Newby, the Higgs brothers to name a few I have photographs and a web site with items of M M Lilley's
I worked there at the same time

Hello

Around 1925, my grandfather Francis David Nutting was living with a John Lilley and his family (wife, Agnes and sons Fred and John) at 31 Dawson St, Small Heath. My grandad started a packing case makers company (no idea when he started, I’m afraid) with his brother - Nutting Bros (Ltd) at 206 Windsor Street, Aston Cross. I wonder if it’s a co-incidence that he started his company after having spent time with people named Lilley?

Also, I have bizarrely got this photo in my collection inherited recently, which must have my grandad or his brother on it (hard to distinguish) but they are at T W Storey Case Makers (with boxes all marked "Clever Mary")! I have no idea where T W Storey were located – maybe my grandad’s firm were just doing business with them. I wonder whether there is a Lilley link also?

T_W_Storey_-_Packing_Case_Makers-Small-copy.jpg

The person who set up M M Lilley's was Luke Lilley early 1800's the name M M Lilley came from is wife's initials Maria Mary Lilley he had no one in is family named John

if you go to google look up m.m lilly [ maria mary lilley who took over the firm then i think it was mr newie some thing like this u might see if you r related it give the back ground of when the firm started

Re: Just Trying - Something

yes i knew them all as i lived next door to dennis and ronnie hillman i them a job there i was 15yrs old 1955

yes i found out that mr newby took over last and ended up in aldridge rd by bridle lane . the queslett rd pub in which was at the bottom of the rd streetly

cracking pic of lilleys.. hope it brings back memories for those of you who worked there... lyn

Summerlane1a2.jpg

Last edited:
cracking pic of lilleys.. hope it brings back memories for those of you who worked there... lyn

Summerlane1a2.jpg
it is a beautiful photo # i used to come out of those gates with my work mates pulling a trolly loaded with small wooden cases taking them to the crocadile works acrooss the road in alma st my mates was pushing it was in 1955 i used to make the cases too with my mates###im clement watts

hi im clem watts i was born in kingstanding birmingham on the 03-06 -1939 my 2nd job at 15 yrs old was m.m.lilley packing case makers in 1954 i was making wooden boxes for matchets then took them over to the crockerdile works in lower alma st my works was in summer lane newtown aston anyone know of these firms
Hello Clem Watts, I have accidentally found your piece about M M Lilley. My dad worked there for over thirty years, his name was Bill Fisher, and at the time you said you started there, we lived in Alum Rock. When the company moved to Streetly, we moved to Kingstanding, and dad stayed at Lilleys until he retired in 1976.

although still a member clem watts has not been seen on forum since 2012 so fingers crossed he may look in

lyn

Back