• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

M. and M. Railway

db84124

Brummophile
Can anyone help me please? Does anybody know what the two "M"s in this railway company's name stand for? We are talking about the mid-nineteenth century (1860s). db84124

Where did you come across it?. Would think it would be the Manchester & Milford, incorporated 1860 to go Manchester to Milford Haven. It never got there , but Pencader to Lampeter opened Jan. 1866, to Strata Florida in Sept 1866 and to Aberystwyth Aug 1867 and eventually it became part of GWR.
mike

' mornin', Mike,
As soon as I saw my email notification of your posting, I got the confirmation of my middle-of-the-night flashback! ...... Manchester and Milford! The dates coincide too. Even the date of its arrival in Aberystwyth almost agrees with my research. Thank you.
As you ask, I came across it in an old trunk which my father brought back from Java after World War II. In it, Dad had stored a cutting taken - I guess - from the Cambrian News, the local Aberystwyth newspaper, and is my grandfather's obituary. There is reference to his father (my great grandfather) as can be seen here:

View attachment 49640

I say that dates correspond, in fact, according to another - but reliable - source, Mr J.B. brought the first train into Aberystwyth's brand new station on 22nd July, 1864.

Hello again 6024, (please excuse me if I call you be your nickname!) thanks ever-so-much for your fascinating link. Very interesting to read the paragraph "it took the company (M. & M.) ..... another four years before starting any engineering work. Eventually, in April 1964, it entered into a contract with David Davies (L(l)andinam) and Fredrick Beeston for the construction of a 27 mile rail track from Pencader to Pontrhydfendigaid" because my great grandfather, Mr James B. was born in the same tiny village, Llandinam (job-allocation favouritism?) on 20th February 1846 and - with his brother, Mr Edward B. - moved to Aberystwyth with the railway! David

Last edited:
Back