• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lyndon Road Sheldon

OldBrummie,

I well remember Barmouth during and just after the war as my uncle & aunt were caretaker's for Greeners of gunsmith fame, who had a house with a lodge there - they lived in the lodge, of course. I remember my younger brother & me being carried on the shoulders of two uncles along the beach in the direction of Tal-y-bont and going into a cave there. I've been back many times since, but have never been able to find the cave that we visited in 1943 for the first time. But I've unintentionally wandered away from Lyndon Road, which I don't know at all. You shouldn't have brought those memories back to life! :)

Maurice :cool:

So sorry Maurice but you have to agree, especially at this (Covid) time, old memories can do wonders for the soul.
Peter.

Indeed, Peter, my life now revolves around them. At 84 I am unlikely to make the journey to the UK again, but the memories are still there.

Indeed, Peter, my life now revolves around them. At 84 I am unlikely to make the journey to the UK again, but the memories are still there.

Maurice, I'm not far behind you (at 81 in a months time) and my chances of reliving my past by visiting Lyndon Road are now non existent. But we have Google and I've been spending a lot of time this week just trawling the streets around Lyndon Road, "visiting" places like my old school etc. Curiosity now asks me to query where you are as you say you are unlikely to make the journey again. I'm actually now a full blown Aussie and just as you, I think my travelling days are truly numbered.
Peter.

Peter,

I've lived in north eastern Crete, Greece, for the last 16 years and previous to that spent 40 years in Dorset, so my time in Birmingham, the city of my birth, was a mere 24 years. I think I've been to Sheldon twice in my life. so there are people on here far more expert on Birmingham than me!

Maurice, My only connection to Crete is that I passed it (all be it at a distance) on the way to Aus in 1963. I imagine a fascinating place. I wish you well and who knows, we might 'bump into' each other here again one day.
Take care. Peter.

To all those out there who might have lived in Lyndon Road, Sheldon, in the 1940's, or know someone from that era, do you remember the "British Restaurant" on the corner of Lyndon Road and Melton Avenue. I still remember my folks taking me there just after the war (1946 or 7) for a meal. Long gone now of course but still generating memories. Old Brummie.

So sorry Maurice but you have to agree, especially at this (Covid) time, old memories can do wonders for the soul.
Peter.
Pete, Might be best to stick to the memories. Visited Brum when my brother was ill, it was all so changed. Realise that I use now and then photographs to recognise the now, I can remember the then, if that makes sense.

Vivienne I don't recognize this photo as there is a Brick Wall behind the group. But I do remember a huge celebration which was held on the farm land behind the Milking Sheds, opposite our house in Lyndon Road (No 279) but I am not sure if it was in the late 1945 or early '46.
It was for one and all and fancy dress for the children.
OldBrummie.

Last edited:
Jan 2021 A query cropped up today and I couldn't answer it. I was born in Solihull Hospital Maternity Section - Dr R L Washington doing the honors. His practice was in Lyndon Road close to the cinema. He took on a partner Dr Robinson. I need to find out (if someone can remember) the name of the third Doctor who joined the practice when Dr Washington retired. Thanks, Peter. (Old Brummie)
Hi, would this have been Dr Freeman?

Vivienne I don't recognize this photo as there is a Brick Wall behind the group. But I do remember a huge celebration which was held on the farm land behind the Milking Sheds, opposite our house in Lyndon Road (No 279) but I am not sure if it was in the late 1945 or early '46.
It was for one and all and fancy dress for the children.
OldBrummie.
Hi do you remember the Jones family lived at 232 Lyndon Road or a Blanche Bennett lived at 190 Lyndon road

Jan 2021 A query cropped up today and I couldn't answer it. I was born in Solihull Hospital Maternity Section - Dr R L Washington doing the honors. His practice was in Lyndon Road close to the cinema. He took on a partner Dr Robinson. I need to find out (if someone can remember) the name of the third Doctor who joined the practice when Dr Washington retired. Thanks, Peter. (Old Brummie)
Probably a bit late, but I only joined today! Dr Washington was my first GP in the 1950s - very distinguished, doing home visits in his smart Rover. His partner was Dr Robinson, and it was indeed Dr Freeman who took over from Dr W. I remember the surgery waiting room with deep leather settees and medical cartoons on the walls. Also the long queue along Lyndon Road for vaccinations during the smallpox scare (1962?) - John Merrick.

Back