• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lyndhurst Primary School

Peg Monkey

master brummie
Lyndhurst County Primary School (1960-1983)
The school had a relatively short life of 23 years and it does seem an odd decision to close it down after such a short period, presumably there was an initial bulge of children on the estate when it was first developed, which changed as the population aged, having said that, there must be children living on the estate who have to walk to the nearest school (Yenton or Osborne Road?). I still remember the building as an example of contemporary architecture of the day, a flat roof building of prefabricated construction, modular in design based on 3 distinct features; when viewing the school with your back to Beechmount Drive the centre of the building was the floor to ceiling glazed main hall, to the right was the infant/reception single story block of two class rooms and to the left of the main hall was the main block of classrooms on two floors, I think there was 6 on each floor. The caretaker lived in a useful sized detached house just to the right of the school, there was pedestrian access to the school from Beechmount Drive, the main entance and small carpark acessed from Rowden Drive, apart from the playground (adjoining the main classroom block) there was a large playing field (now built on I believe) which had open access for use by children of the estate at any time.
I never went to the school (my post #17 explains why) but many of my friends did, I've tried to find a photo but no luck so far.
I believe the school has now been demolished but I guess the caretaker's house was left untouched as it would still be useful family accommodation.
If a photo doesn't emerge I'll post a sketch showing the basic outline of the school later.
Peg.

Was the headmaster a man call Mr Sinclair?
We may need some insider info' on this, I met the headteacher only briefly when my application to enter the shool was rejected and I must admit I thought it was a lady, but that was when I was 10 - nearly 59 years ago!
We could, of course both be right - most unlikely the school had only one headteacher during its 23 year lifespan.
Peg.

Think it's worth having a separate thread for Lyndhurst school Peg. If you'd like to start a new thread please do. Otherwise I can sort it out for you later - got to get off to work now. Viv.
Good idea Viv, not sure I'm the best one to ask, as I was never actually a pupil there. I did wonder if there would be support for a thread for a school with such a short life span of 23 years, then I thought hang on! my old school, Harry Lucas, only lived for 11 years and that's been threaded!
For my part, once I've posted a sketch of the elevation of the school that's about the limit of my contribution.
Would be good if some expressions of support emerged, I'll leave final decision to you.
Peg.

Viv, be great if you could find a shot of the school like you did of the Lyndhurst Estate, until then...........
Peg.
Lyndhurst School.jpg

Last edited:
My parents moved onto the Lyndhurst Estate in 1960 about the same time the school started operating, my mother attended evening keep fit classes in the main hall - just one problem - no curtains, so everyone was on full view to prying eyes, usually children who had assembled on the playing field, which was open access, the solution: large sheets of brown paper over the windows.
My father was in the fishing club, they held their meetings in one of the classrooms in the main block.
I remember the school being used as a polling station, but that changed when that activity moved to Rowden Hall, a small village hall constructed on a small piece of land adjoining the school playground.
A feature on edge of the playing field (near the end of the rear gardens of houses in Beechmount Drive) was a huge tree, horse chestnut I think, also at the top end of the playing field was a small wooded area (rear of the shops) we called The Orchard, I can't remember much in the way of fruit there but it was a great place to play.
Peg.

If my memory serves me well the Lyndhurst School didn't have a uniform, anyone disagree?
I attended three Birmingham primary schools in the mid 50s none of which had a uniform, probably driven by cost - major issue for large families.
Peg.

My parents moved onto the Lyndhurst Estate in 1960 about the same time the school started operating, my mother attended evening keep fit classes in the main hall - just one problem - no curtains, so everyone was on full view to prying eyes, usually children who had assembled on the playing field, which was open access, the solution: large sheets of brown paper over the windows.
My father was in the fishing club, they held their meetings in one of the classrooms in the main block.
I remember the school being used as a polling station, but that changed when that activity moved to Rowden Hall, a small village hall constructed on a small piece of land adjoining the school playground.
A feature on edge of the playing field (near the end of the rear gardens of houses in Beechmount Drive) was a huge tree, horse chestnut I think, also at the top end of the playing field was a small wooded area (rear of the shops) we called The Orchard, I can't remember much in the way of fruit there but it was a great place to play.
Peg.

There was ballroom dancing lessons in the school hall I guess in the evenings. I lived in Beechmount drive so only needed a short walk over the field to get there. There was once a competition to see who could be crowned Ballroom Princes. I won. This would have been about 1967. It was reported in the Erdington News. I didn’t attend the school as it was for Protestants and I went to the Abbey primary which was catholic.

Hello I am new to this site but I have a passion for the history of my primary school Lyndhurst and could answer some of the questions on here.
There was another headmaster after Mr Sinclair named Michael Arkinstall. He published a few books and I have some of them.
There was a school uniform, green and grey, but few pupils used it.
I tried so hard to access the old buildings before demolition. I contacted the council and the demolition company with no luck, but I do have some photos.

This photo is taken from the playground. The main entrance was round to the left side, accessed by a very small drive. This is not my photo and I would be happy to credit the owner if I knew who it was.

Attachments

• B8A08506-326F-40BD-BF94-C0EE8300C87D.jpeg
    B8A08506-326F-40BD-BF94-C0EE8300C87D.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 41
hi justjan and welcome to the forum...so sorry you were not able to get permission to enter the school but as i always say in these cases at least you have your memories..thanks for the photo and please enjoy the forum

lyn

JustJan

On a general point, attempts to do things the correct way before entering these buildings due for demolition rarely succeed because the owners, in this case the Council, have let the insurance lapse and could be liable if any accident happened to you. And the demolition contractors' insurance would only cover the people involved in the demolition. This is why urban explorers have to carry out most of their explorations illegally.

Undoubtedly, any items of value were removed years ago, and it's possible that CCTV cameras may have been installed to deter unwelcome intruders. For most explorers, modern primary schools are pretty boring places to explore and are not generally worth the risk. I've a quick look at some of the urban exploration sites I frequent from time to time, and can't find any mention of an an exploration of this school. Sorry.

Maurice

JustJan

On a general point, attempts to do things the correct way before entering these buildings due for demolition rarely succeed because the owners, in this case the Council, have let the insurance lapse and could be liable if any accident happened to you. And the demolition contractors' insurance would only cover the people involved in the demolition. This is why urban explorers have to carry out most of their explorations illegally.

Undoubtedly, any items of value were removed years ago, and it's possible that CCTV cameras may have been installed to deter unwelcome intruders. For most explorers, modern primary schools are pretty boring places to explore and are not generally worth the risk. I've a quick look at some of the urban exploration sites I frequent from time to time, and can't find any mention of an an exploration of this school. Sorry.

Maurice
Hi thank you for the information. I did push a camera under the hoardings once after being denied entry and I must try and find the photos I took. If only I knew a drone owner back then!

On the previously attached photograph the red brick extensions were added much later
The Pupils entrance was in the center of the older (white)part of the building looking straight onto the photograph,the Staff entrance was between the Caretakers house and the school building on Rowden Drive,to the left of the picture with another side entrance for pupils also on Rowden Drive.
To the side of the playground there was a small coppice and a large playing field with a big Oak Tree, If I remember rightly the Oak Tree featured on the School Uniform Badge.
The Infants part of the School was situated next to the Assembly/ Dining Hall Kitchen area and the Juniors part of the School was on two floors as you look at the photograph straight on.
There was also a smaller Infants playground near the Caretakers House.

Hello I am new to this site but I have a passion for the history of my primary school Lyndhurst and could answer some of the questions on here.
There was another headmaster after Mr Sinclair named Michael Arkinstall. He published a few books and I have some of them.
There was a school uniform, green and grey, but few pupils used it.
I tried so hard to access the old buildings before demolition. I contacted the council and the demolition company with no luck, but I do have some photos.

This photo is taken from the playground. The main entrance was round to the left side, accessed by a very small drive. This is not my photo and I would be happy to credit the owner if I knew who it was.
This pic is of inestimable historic value but it saddens me, I lived on The Lyndhurst from 1959 when I was aged 10 until I left after I got married in 1972. My memory of the school is it was a vibrant bustling place of learning, an asset to the local community not only as a place of learning but as a meeting place for out of hours clubs, my father was a member of the estate fishing club, which held it's monthly evening meetings in one of the classrooms and my mom was a member of the keep fit club, which met in the hall. What was the purpose of the red brick extension erected on the playground? It post dates my residency.
I'm attaching a plan of the estate I drew from memory as a reminder where the school was positioned.
Peg

Attachments

• Lyndhurst Estate c1965.jpg
    Lyndhurst Estate c1965.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 9
I applied for entry into the school when me and my family moved to the Lyndhurst when I was aged 10 but was refused on the basis I had only a short time to go before moving to senior school.
Peg

Last edited:
I do have quite a stock of photographs of the school. I do not have the copyright of these pictures and will happily credit the publisher.

Attachments

• BE2F5B7F-DECA-4CA7-9952-0F2BDB10202F.jpeg
    BE2F5B7F-DECA-4CA7-9952-0F2BDB10202F.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 17
  • 28CF4F87-CF23-4780-A0A5-AD26B6ECF930.jpeg
    28CF4F87-CF23-4780-A0A5-AD26B6ECF930.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 15
  • A16ECE36-CBBE-4858-9BE1-34DA04D927D2.jpeg
    A16ECE36-CBBE-4858-9BE1-34DA04D927D2.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 0D5D6226-19D8-4D17-94E1-8367C44ED8AD.jpeg
    0D5D6226-19D8-4D17-94E1-8367C44ED8AD.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 6C829E82-5949-4A57-A248-A9445A62709F.jpeg
    6C829E82-5949-4A57-A248-A9445A62709F.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 19
I do hold the copyright of this photo as I am holding the original publication in my hand. Lyndhurst school magazines, 1974 & 1976.

Attachments

• 600CF730-7F2C-4E57-9DAB-C854EC44E797.jpeg
    600CF730-7F2C-4E57-9DAB-C854EC44E797.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Back