• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lyndhurst Estate

Lyndhurst Estate - 1960s: My family was re-homed to the Lyndhurst in the winter of 1960 (fair amoiunt of snow and ice around) from Heaton St., Hockley and not long before we moved a well-meaning elderley friend built me a sledge. The first real chance to use it came shortly after our move (not many snowy hills in Hockley), it was a solidly built craftsman's effort but therein lay the problem - it was far too heavy, with skinny runners, and it just sank into the snow. Until it was built-on there was a great slope at the side of Harlech Tower (The 16 story block), Ah happy Days!:).................
Peg.
Must view!: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/peg-monkey-cartoons.48101/post-635196

Last edited:
1960s - Although our flat had an electric drying cupboard my mom insisted on her laundry being dried naturally by fresh air, I was regulary press-ganged into service to assist the pegging out on the roof top drying area, I couldn't complain too loudly, she was on the rota for washing the 11 shirts from the Boys' Brigade football team of which I was a member.
Peg.
Must view!: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/peg-monkey-cartoons.48101/post-635578

1960s - Although our flat had an electric drying cupboard my mom insisted on her laundry being dried naturally by fresh air, I was regulary press-ganged into service to assist the pegging out on the roof top drying area, I couldn't complain too loudly, she was on the rota for washing the 11 shirts from the Boys' Brigade football team of which I was a member.
Peg.
Must view!: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/peg-monkey-cartoons.48101/post-635578
My pegging out and laundry retrieval duties were not confined to daylight hours, or even seasons - on a cold winter's night, with a gale blowing, the rooftop drying area would have been the perfect training ground for an expedition to the Artic. But on a clear night there was a bonus - the panarama through one of the viewing panels was spectacular and if a plane did fly over at that time it really was a close encounter of the aircraft kind, come to think of it - a flashing beacon helmet might have been a good idea.
Peg.
Must view!: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/peg-monkey-cartoons.48101/post-635931

The houses that abutted the railway on The Lyndhurst came late in the construction of the estate, which allowed glimpses of trains using the line, this was the latter days of steam and my parents flat was too far away from the line to allow a locomotive to be identified but you could validate you had actually spotted an engine
I lived on Sutton Road opposite the estate, my bedroom window facing the tower blocks. If I stood in exactly the right place I was convinced there was a view of about 5' of railway line in the distance. With the windows open you could hear the train and something flickered as a train went by. Looking now at the pictures below it seems very unlikely, but a train-mad boy could dream, surely? These are the only pictures I took of the flats from my house. Probably about 1970?
scan0101.png
scan0103.pngscan0112.png

The phone box is still there.
I used to live above the shops 1994 to 2006.
The only shops there then were the Off Licence, Newsagent and the Council Office, the rest were permanently closed with metal shutters. Although there was a rumour that the shop marked as Greengrocer on your plan, was used as storage by the newsagent.

The phone box is still there.
I used to live above the shops 1994 to 2006.
The only shops there then were the Off Licence, Newsagent and the Council Office, the rest were permanently closed with metal shutters. Although there was a rumour that the shop marked as Greengrocer on your plan, was used as storage by the newsagent.
I actually filmed a bit of the demolition from the balcony which was about the middle of the block.
Robin Corbett, the local MP used to ask myself and another neighbour with a balcony to tie a huge banner between us during election times.

Last edited:
The stairwell to the flats were a hangout for the local youths, who drank beer, used drugs, syringes etc, It was used as a toilet too, so you can imagine the smell.

A man came around about once a week with a bottle with a spray nozzle, a few sprays here and there and he was gone. It needed a big barrel of whatever he used, to be tipped down the steps and scrubbed about three days a week, so you can tell what good his little spray did…

At dusk you were in lockdown, as about 20 odd youths congregated there, if you dared to try it, your way would be blocked, you would get sworn at, sometimes nudged and you dare not touch the handrails as they were covered in spit, as might be the back of your coat.

Hello I’ve stumbled across your thread and know this is a long shot but have you heard of a Bobo/Bobb Tourey he was registered to be living in Burcombe Tower at the time of his passing in 1980 I'm not sure how long he lived there before that so thought worth asking as you never know, it is an unusual name. He would have been in his 50’s at the time

Back