• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lyncroft House, Handsworth wood Road

Brummiebyrne

can any of you lovely ladies tell me a bit about what it was like there! As much as your comfortable with!
i remember my mom saying that she fought so hard to keep her baby but whoever it was, her parents etc said she had no choice, and it was pretty much forced!
I can imagine how she must have felt! How any of you felt! X

babylove27

My mom gave birth to me at Lyncroft House in 1957, I would love to hear from anyone who was at the home during this time, I went onto becoming adopted and have always thought how difficult it must of been for her. No support given and a lot of trauma suffered.

Made_in_Staffs

Good afternoon, I live in Lichfield (a stone's throw from The Hedgehog Pub - formerly Lyncroft House.) Is this the Lyncroft House the thread concerns? I ask, because by coincidence my theatre company is in the process of rehearsing Amanda Whittington's play 'Be My Baby' - concerning the fate of 4 teenage girls in a church run mother and baby home during the 1960s. I was utterly speechless when I discovered that Lyncroft house had actually been the location of such a place.
I was dearly hoping that someone with first hand-experience of living through the 1960s having spent time at Lyncroft might share some of the fascinating story with me & my cast - as we would love to create a performance that is as authentic as possible. The production opens at the Garrick theatre in Lichfield on April 16th.
I was born in Lyncroft House in Stafford Road, Lichfield in May 1966. I only just found out that it was a Salvation Army home.

Nankypooh

I had my baby at Lyncroft House December 1965 and am delighted to say that Feb 2010 he contacted me. Unfortunately he lives in Southampton so we don't meet that often but unless it has happened to you no one can say what a relief to know your baby is alive and well and has a wonderful family. I often sat through the night with private patients in the labour ward and they were always so interested in our lives and babies. I would love to hear from any of the girls who were there Sept 65 to March 66 to talk of the old faces, Dr Barry Crisp, Mrs Morgan, Capt Smardon, Brigadier Burrows and the lovely Scandinavian girls.
Hi i have only just found this forum after trying to find an old friend who i met while in lyncroft
I had my son may 1965 and left lyncroft in the july of 1965 with my son i was one of the lucky one i kept my son i married my sons father 2yrs later i then went on to have a daughter
In 1969 my son is now 54yrs and he has blessed me with 3 grandaughters and now 4 great grand children
My time at lyncroft wasnt easy being away from my mom and dad but they looked after the girls who were there compassion and love xxxxx

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Sometime around 1956 the Salvation Army Home for Mothers and Babies, moved from older promises in Ladywood Road, to Lyncroft House, Handsworth Wood. “A gracious mansion deep in spacious gardens.”

At Ladywood Road it was "the Hawthorns" a Home for unmarried mothers. This home was opened in 1903 and at the first annual meeting Mrs Bramwell Booth (wife of the son of General William Booth) used such terms as... people less worthy of help than ordinary people....women whose lives have been ruinous to themselves and others....deepest-dyed sinners.

F0E8FBFE-2994-479D-9F00-1C914A0068F0.jpeg

Last edited: