• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lych Gates

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
First of a set of four lych gates sketched by George Beresford for the Birmingham Daily Post of March 1969. This one is Moseley Parish Church.

29840170-9868-4F8E-A000-CBFF98A9AEC5.png

Present Google Earth...
https://earth.app.goo.gl/wHWGz

Attachments

• 46100003-7D33-40AD-BC9B-03467488CD0B.jpeg
    46100003-7D33-40AD-BC9B-03467488CD0B.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 17
Definition and purpose of a lych gate :

"A covered gate, usually at the entrance to a churchyard. The term lych evolved from the Saxon word for corpse, and the lych gate was traditionally a place where corpse bearers caried the body of a deceased person and laid it on a communal bier. The priest would then carry out the first part of a burial ceremony under the shelter of the lych gate roof. Lych gates are usually of wood, and thus subject to decay. For that reason many are fairly modern reconstructions of much older timber covered gateways. They are traditionally roofed with wooden or clay tiles, or thatch.

The large timber beams framing the gateway are often carved with decorative elements, or inscribed with the names of donors. There are frequently small bench seats on either side of the passage - very useful for sheltering from a rain shower! A number of churches erected, or re-erected, lych gates to mark the millennium in the year 2000".
Source https://www.britainexpress.com/church-history.htm?term=Lych+Gate

Here's my contribution: the lych gate at St Michael's church, Boldmere. Its claim to fame is that it was built from timbers taken from the newly demolished Erdington Hall.

Attachments

• Lych Gate.jpg
    Lych Gate.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 25
Keith Berry took this photo of the Lych Gate at St Barnabas Church Erdington in 2006.
12lychgate2006.jpg

Last edited:
Edgbaston old church
25.gif

Most seem to have had small gates attached to them but the ones through St Peter's lych gate in Harborne have been removed. Viv.
image.jpeg
Image from the Shoothill site.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 8
Maybe not a Lych Gate as such, but an interesting piece of Victorian cemetery symbolism. Key Hill cemetery gates, the torches representing eternity and being upside down represents the end of life on earth.

Above the torches is a hooped snake (Ouroboros), the symbol of eternal life, no beginning and no end. The sense of something constantly re-creating itself

Gateway-Key-Hill.jpg

Christ Church, School Road, Yardley Wood. The gate was erected in memory of the first vicar Alfred Clifton and dated 1880. Gate in good condition but the 2 stone plaques could do with a clean. If they are blurred it is because I had to dodge the traffic. Yellow lines all round as the church is next to a single carriageway bridge - not sure how they manage for weddings and funerals.

Attachments

• Christ Church Lych Gate.jpg
    Christ Church Lych Gate.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Christ Church.jpg
    Christ Church.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 21
  • dedication name.jpg
    dedication name.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 20
  • dedication.jpg
    dedication.jpg
    715 KB · Views: 20
  • Left side.jpg
    Left side.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 20
A few that I've seen over the years.

St Nicholas Church Kings Norton

St Mary's Acocks Green

St Laurence Church, Northfield

St Mary's Church, Moseley

Sorry not having a religious bone in my body, I can tell you nothing about these structure except that are part of a magnificent building and I do appreciate a good building no matter what it is used for.

The Lych Gate of St Peter & St Pauls Aston Parish Church

The Church and Lych Gate of Christchurch Yardley Wood.

Aston St Peter & St Paul  Lych-Gate Aston Old-Church.jpg Christchurch yardley wood parish church.jpg

Lovely examples of these gates. Good to see they're still around. Thanks all. Keep em coming. Viv.

St Peter's Church in Harborne around Old Church Road, just found this one. Wasn't aware of it before!

Not far from Grove Park.

Was three lychgates, took two out of the three gates.

The lych gate at St Agnes Church, Moseley was badly damaged last August during police pursuit. Repairs just completed on Friday. Phots attached of before, after damage & after repair. Great to see real craftsmen at work. A little bit of our heritage saved.

Attachments

• 2019.jpg
    2019.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 16
  • accident 01.png
    accident 01.png
    551.8 KB · Views: 16
  • accident 06.jpg
    accident 06.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF1355.JPG
    DSCF1355.JPG
    911.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF1357.JPG
    DSCF1357.JPG
    817 KB · Views: 14
Well blow me down, it looks seamless from the other direction. Thanks brummy-lad ! Viv.

A couple of gates already mentioned, but these show the gates from much earlier times. Viv.

The Old Church Edgbaston (see post #5, although image has been lost)
6D0BB1FE-9E79-432E-9DE2-110630AF706F.jpeg

St Peters in Harborne dated 1906 (re post #20)
BED99284-77FF-4D97-A316-F99E570966A2.jpeg

Back