• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lupin Street, Aston

Hi
My father Walter Crump was born in January 1911 at number 45 Lupin Street. His father was Harry Crump who was a tube drawer. I am beginning to research my ancestors and it would be interesting if anybody has any photo's they can share around this time or indeed have any knowledge of the Crump family.

Phil

Hi
My Dad ( charlie dabbs) lived in Lupin street as previously mentioned. I am not aware of our family owning a shop, however i can remember my dad talking about a boxer living near by. My dad was born 1923 and his brother george 1922. Unfortunately both have passed away now so cannot ask them anything else. My dad joined the royal navy in 1939 but he brother was a bit of a jack the lad, and later became an artist. Would be lovely if we could find some common ground :)

Bev
Hello Bev.
My father Martin King was also born in Lupin Street 1 back 12 court 3 in 1923. I can recall my father talking about your father (Charlie Dabbs) I also remember him talking about Jack Hood.
My father also joined the Navy in 1939. Do you have a Peter Dabbs in your family aged about 60?
When I was a young girl a Peter Dabbs came to live with us. His nick name was dabby. He came to live with us in Fairfield in Bromsgrove.

18 & 19 Lupin Street (from the Shoothill site)
6958F343-5004-4543-A000-4EA9EE737B94.jpeg
22 Lupin Street (from the Shoothill site)

3A0B62D6-8D38-4534-BD93-582CBAF1CB5E.jpeg

Hi
My father Walter Crump was born in January 1911 at number 45 Lupin Street. His father was Harry Crump who was a tube drawer. I am beginning to research my ancestors and it would be interesting if anybody has any photo's they can share around this time or indeed have any knowledge of the Crump family.

Phil
My Dad was born in 1912 Lupin St one of seven children his name was Alf Thomas, his Dad was Bill Thomas..there were Alice, Jess, Frances and Beatrice, as well as Bill jnr and Norman I would love to know more, I’ve just joined this site.

You can right click and go to "Save Image As...". Click it then click save at a location you can find it again.

In number 5 Court Lupin Street (from Shoothill site), the first image shows houses 1 & 2, the second shows houses 3 & 4.

View attachment 129540

View attachment 129539
I've just started researching my family history and this is my first look at this site. My grandmother Maria Doyle, was born in this very place - Court 5, Lupin St, in 1888 though I don't know which house. Any information or pointers would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Below is a map c1889 showing court 5 in green and what I think , but am not certain, what was no 4 in red, The small building in red would seem to me to not include that with the windows next to it, but cannot be certain.

map c18809 showing court 5  lupin st with probably no 4 in red.jpg

Thanks again! This is brilliant. I assume the road "above" the court is Lupin St. Would you know what the road to the right is please?

Yes, should have added label, The one to the right is Willis St, and to the left is Henry St

A photo of my mother's cousin and her two daughters, Coronation Day party in Lupin St 1953. Smallwood, Talbot and Wellings families.

Attachments

• IMG_3584.jpg
    IMG_3584.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 14
My late father in law was born in 1910 in Coleman Street both his mother in 1912 and stepmother in 1917 had died and he was cared for by his half sister who was related to the Silk family, they owned coffee shops and property in the area and provided the daughter and her siblings somewhere to live, she married and is with her husband at no 7 Lupin street in 1930 at no 6 court 1 is the Thomas family from post 50
William Arthur, Frances Jane, William, Alice,Beatrice and Jessie.

Hi Phil
When I try and use your link. It tells me I have to upgrade my login to Admin privileges. I’m new to the forum so I’m not sure why.
I was interested in photos of Lupin st as my grandfather grew up there until he married in the late 1920s.
Hi LottieB and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately Phil is no longer with us and the link does not appear to work, perhaps admin can sort it.
These may be the images he referred to:

Attachments

• Lupin Street  1966.jpg
    Lupin Street 1966.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Lupin Street WILIS sTREET.jpg
    Lupin Street WILIS sTREET.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 25
  • rear-of-lupin-st-nechells-1963.jpg
    rear-of-lupin-st-nechells-1963.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 26
I suspect the link may have been to this Lupin St thread, and that threads have been merged. Unfortunately many earlier photos on this thread were lost during a hack. Some lost at this time have been replaced, but it has not been possible in all cases. I will see if I can identify any of the missing photos and reinstate them

Lottie
Other than the first photo, I have now replaced all the photos with those I believe to be the same ones as the original (the date I saved them corres[ponds to around the time of the original post), and have deleted the post with the confudsing link

A photo of my mother's cousin and her two daughters, Coronation Day party in Lupin St 1953. Smallwood, Talbot and Wellings families.
Hi there, I have Smallwoods and Talbot's in my family that were around these street! :D I wonder if we are related somehow

Lupin Street pics links .... :)
Finding a pic among the thousands on the forum is not easy but putting the word lupin in the search will eventually find posts with Lupin Street and I've put links to three of them with pics in them below...

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-street-pics.38737/page-95#post-492175
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-street-pics.38737/page-141#post-498721
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ds-and-yards-of-brum.40378/page-7#post-464177

Welsh Brummie - Wow! I'm excited! I'm in touch with Albert's daughter, Lynda. We used to visit them regularly, back in the day.
Do you have contact with anyone?

Sorry, that might've been directed at Deltics, I can't track the message on here that appeared in my email box.

Did you go to their leaving party? I have a photo that appeared in the Sunday mercury at that time; if you were, you're probably on it. If you want me to pass your details on to Linda, let me know and I'll happily do that.

Back