• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lucky 13 (LCG 13) The part they played at on D Day and in the Normandy landings

jmadone

master brummie
Last year I requested and received a copy of my Dad's service record during WW2. I knew he was in the Royal Marines and served aboard LCGs, Landing Craft Guns and I also knew he was involved in the Sicily and Italy landings (Operation Husky) and later on went out to the far east in Ceylon, India and Burma. What I didn't know was that he took part in the D Day landings. He served as part of a gun crew on several craft LCG 10, LCG 11, LCG 13 and LCG 18 but it was whilst serving on LCG 13 that he saw action at Sword Beach.
Doing some research I came upon the Combined Services website where I found a full account of LCG 13's actions 77 years ago today. This was written by David Percival from the memoirs of his father; Sick Bay Attendant John Francis Percival who was serving aboard LCG 13 at the same time as Dad. I reproduce a condensed version below
(The full account can be seen at https://www.combinedops.com/LANDING CRAFT GUN 13.htm)

LCG 13 (1).jpg
LCG 13 (2).jpg
LCG 13 (3).jpg
LCG 13 (4).jpg
LCG 13 (5).jpgLCG 13 (6).jpgLCG 13 (7).jpgLCG 13 (8).jpgLCG 13 (9).jpgLCG 13 (10).jpgLCG 13 (11).jpgLCG 13 (12).jpgLCG 13 (13).jpgLCG 13 (14).jpgLCG 13 (16).jpg

The above photograph has always been amongst Dad's picture collection but it never had much significance to me. There's no writing or anything on the reverse but after reading about what happened I think that it must be the burials of the poor souls who perished on LCG 13 and meant a great deal to Dad.

Dad never spoke about this episode in his life, he only told us of the laughs and scrapes they got into but some of the sights he witnessed must have affected and stayed with him all his life.
When he'd had a pint or two and got a bit maudlin he'd sing a little ditty shown below which again comes from Percival's memoirs.

LCG 13 (15).jpg

hi jim you must be very proud of your dad as i am sure the rest of us will be...thank you for sharing his story with us all and yes i would also agree that the photograph shows a sea burial/burials...there is a service a the NMA today for those who served during the D DAY landings...hopefully davem will be there to take some photographs or videos for us..

lyn

Last edited:
Jim.

Great to find so much detail about your father's service as many others know their father's regiment and perhaps unit, but little else. Excellent stories to be proud of.

Maurice :cool:

Hi Jim,
Google brought me here as I was doing research on my late Grandfather's war records last year as well. He was on board LCT 414 and then LCG 18 during Operation Husky (invasion of Sicily). I'm not 100% sure but we believe this photo is LCG 18 crew - perhaps your Father is in there somewhere.

Happy to share my research notes with you.

William Champkin 1942.jpg

Last year I requested and received a copy of my Dad's service record during WW2. I knew he was in the Royal Marines and served aboard LCGs, Landing Craft Guns and I also knew he was involved in the Sicily and Italy landings (Operation Husky) and later on went out to the far east in Ceylon, India and Burma. What I didn't know was that he took part in the D Day landings. He served as part of a gun crew on several craft LCG 10, LCG 11, LCG 13 and LCG 18 but it was whilst serving on LCG 13 that he saw action at Sword Beach.
Doing some research I came upon the Combined Services website where I found a full account of LCG 13's actions 77 years ago today. This was written by David Percival from the memoirs of his father; Sick Bay Attendant John Francis Percival who was serving aboard LCG 13 at the same time as Dad. I reproduce a condensed version below
(The full account can be seen at https://www.combinedops.com/LANDING CRAFT GUN 13.htm)

View attachment 157713
View attachment 157714
View attachment 157715
View attachment 157716
View attachment 157717View attachment 157718View attachment 157719View attachment 157720View attachment 157721View attachment 157722View attachment 157723View attachment 157724View attachment 157725View attachment 157726View attachment 157728

The above photograph has always been amongst Dad's picture collection but it never had much significance to me. There's no writing or anything on the reverse but after reading about what happened I think that it must be the burials of the poor souls who perished on LCG 13 and meant a great deal to Dad.

Dad never spoke about this episode in his life, he only told us of the laughs and scrapes they got into but some of the sights he witnessed must have affected and stayed with him all his life.
When he'd had a pint or two and got a bit maudlin he'd sing a little ditty shown below which again comes from Percival's memoirs.

View attachment 157727
God Bless them all that fort for our freedom, least we never forget!

I am at this moment watching the Longest Day I can`t the believe the coincidence of coming across your story about your brave father and the brave men he fought along side may they never be forgotten..God Bless them all we owe them such a lot.

Hi Jim,
Google brought me here as I was doing research on my late Grandfather's war records last year as well. He was on board LCT 414 and then LCG 18 during Operation Husky (invasion of Sicily). I'm not 100% sure but we believe this photo is LCG 18 crew - perhaps your Father is in there somewhere.

Happy to share my research notes with you.

View attachment 160158
I have sent you a personal message

Back