• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas's

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
Thanks Len ..Heather has so many things of interest its going to take some time to put them on the forum:):):)

Jackie Hill

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Hi All

Sorry I was not on line yesterday but we had our Shaftmoor Lane Re-union and I always put on a display table so was very busy

Anyone who has photos they would like put on the web sit if they could email them to me as well as putting them on the forum I would be very grateful

[email protected]

Thank

Jackie

Jackie Hill

Hi Jennyann

Reading through the thread I have noticed you started the thread with a piece about your Mom and Dad

I wonder if you could send a photo of the Wedding breakfast and a write up about how it came about

I'm sorry it has been so long after you posted but I was not a member of the forum in 2003 and don't always have time to go through all of the postings

Thanks

Jackie

M

mike-g

I think the photo in #18 was taken in F2 toolroom at GKS. One of the people in the back row looks very much like my uncle who was a miller working in F2.

evergreen

Cradley Heathen
Hi Mike, You could be right. Thinking back Grandad was in the tool room. How amazing that we have both got relatives in the same photo. Heather

Jackie Hill

Hi Maggie and Heather

Thank you for allowing me to put the photos on the website

They are in GKS Gallery 25

Jackie

Last edited by a moderator:

evergreen

Cradley Heathen
Jackie, you are most welcome. It was lovely to see them there, Grandad Ted would have been so proud. Heather

Patsi

knowlegable brummie
Hi,
I have just joined this forum and came accross this thread.

My father worker at Lucas as a Draughtsman, but he died when I was just ten years old in 1952, I can't remember which factory he worked at......I do remember the Chritmas parties very vividly.

My father's name was Eric Lewis.....my older sister may be able to fill me in with more information.

Jackie Hill

Do you know the man in the photo not sure if its Formans Road or Girling
Angela1.jpgAngela 3.jpg

I'm told his first name is Albert and work for Lucas around 1940as

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi guys ;
i did not reconise the chap in the picture thou is face is familar to me ;but just cannot put a name to his face ;
whilst on the subject of knowing anybody ; i have an uncle whom worked at lucas.s in grt king street
is there anybody out there on the forum recall or even worked or knew him personaly
my uncles name is george jelf whom was working there up until the late fifties or just up until around the early sixties
i beleive he was a tool maker there at lucas,s
i would very much like to hear from anybody whom knew him ; a he his still alive and lives in weoly castle brum and he his in is ninetys ;
today i am off to the botanical gardens so i hope the weathere is grt in brum and i hope you all have a grt day ;
best wishes astonian;;

Anne Jessel

master brummie
Just for information.

Dr Philip Reasbeck O.B.E who was Director of Lucas and Head of Physics and Research sadly passed away last month, aged 89. He served Lucas very well internationally and in the 50s 60s 70s was a very respected gentleman. He may not be recognised by most now but then I don't know about that.

He was a wonderful man and gained so many achievements and accolades including brushing shoulders with Royalty.

He is sadly missed by my sister - he was my honorary bro-in-law and he helped my husband and I giving much advice on a business footing.

We all miss him so much.
Anne

Sajohn

Brummie
Hello Anne

Yes I remember Phil Reasbeck. I first met him when he was MD(?) of the Battery Factory in Formans Rd where my father worked.

During the 70's I worked at the Semiconductor Pilot Line at Marshal Lake Rd so had a lot of contact with the Research Centre. We all used to go down the Stratford Rd to the Crown pub for lunch most Fridays & he was regularly there. Always wore a bow tie I remember

Anne Jessel

master brummie
Hello Anne

Yes I remember Phil Reasbeck. I first met him when he was MD(?) of the Battery Factory in Formans Rd where my father worked.

During the 70's I worked at the Semiconductor Pilot Line at Marshal Lake Rd so had a lot of contact with the Research Centre. We all used to go down the Stratford Rd to the Crown pub for lunch most Fridays & he was regularly there. Always wore a bow tie I remember
Thank you so much for this response all the way from Adelaide - wow! (another sister and family live there!) My sister will be thrilled when I show her.
He was such a fine gentleman. I wonder if anyone else remembers him.
Anne

mossg

master brummie
Changing the subject but still Lucas's.This picture shows, i think a retirement presentation in the toolroom at Gt King St in the 60s.
Just look how smart the toolmakers were in their collar and ties,not worn just for the day but a regular practice.Moss

Attachments

Pewster

knowlegable brummie
Hi, does anybody remember my Dad from Lucas / Girling ? His name was Reg Pugh, pretty sure at times he worked at Formans Road, Shaftmoor Avenue and Marshall Lake Road. I've just been looking through the photos on the Lucas Memories site and he is on the first page of the Marshall Lake Road photos. I also think he worked in quality control, that seems to ring a bell !

Williamstreeter

master brummie
LUCAS - GREAT KING STREET &c..

Who remembers the big Christmas party done every year for children of Lucas employees; with gift pack at conclusion? Professional entertainers, for children, delivered.
Lucas also gave employees a Christmas box (a kind of hamper).

The huge plant at Great King Street, very well built, could have been put to many good uses. It is utterly astounding it was razed. Condominiums, perhaps? A barbaric waste (nothing unusual of course).

Lucas transferred the bulk of production to South Africa. Cheap labour and no sophisticated veteran labour movement issues to deal with.
Two birds; one stone. The Shaftmoor Lane complex employed several thousand industrious artisans. [The BWs]

Very terrible business altogether. Needless to say no mass protest?
:cry:
Hello I fetched errands for a Len and Edith Jones who both worked at Lucas Gt King St , they managed to get me on those Christmas
do's we went to a couple of panto's after the parties late 50's I'm talking about and yes we all got a present after I remember a badge I got one year of a lifebuoy the ring was a bright white with gold ropes around it , It must have cost them millions over the years

Barr_Beacon

The Prodigal Brummie
The WMPTE Lucas's Great King's St buses; in 1980, I used to use the one from Kingstanding when I worked at Newman Tonks in Bridge Street West. Always felt like I might be doing something wrong but it saved me the walk from Newtown Row.