• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Transport

Jackie Hill

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
I'm looking for people who worked on the transport side of LUCAS

There must be lots of you out there

Please drop me a line

Jackie

Lucas foremans road. Driver standing by the lorry in picture one is my brother John Dalby

Last edited:
Hi Jackie and louis,

Jackie, my father worked for Lucas Transport from 1949 to his retirement in 1987, about the same time when the transport section was finished and it went to Smiths Transport.
I remember the green overalls which also had al ighter green lapels which had breast pockets and all the buttons were removable before mom washed them and somewhere I still have a king of the road atlas in a brown sleeve and the king of the road badge which he took off the side of his cab when it was scrapped.
He had many certificates that was awarded by the company to him including a driving medal which I think was awarded for so many accident free years.There was many photos of him driving taken in Reddings lane and Formans road where they used to do driving tests and some of him in the transport office in later yrs.His brother used to work there also on security.
After his retirement he was always happy to talk about his driving days and was very proud to have worked for Lucas, he may not have shown it at work but I was told at his funeral by people he had worked with that behind closed doors he was like a tiger on anybody no matter who they were who said one word against the transport dept or any other drivers
As I write this many names are beginning to come to the fore, Mackie,Enderby and Jack Goff to name a few.
Sadly I do not know what ever happenned to the photo's,moms moved away and they got lost in the move and I would so dearly like to see them again.
Lucas was very much a Family affair,mom worked at Marshall Lake road, uncle worked at Formans road with my dad,my auntie and my father in law worked at Shaftsmoor lane.

Louis
Thank you for sharing the pics,I remember visiting dad there and seeing all the trailers being loaded, it must have been qiute a tight turn out of the gates onto Formans Road with the trailers and have always wondered how that little security office remained untouched.
Dad said it was the standard of good drivers Lucas had at Formans Road, though I beleive that one driver did tip his load once, is that true?

Coalman, Is there no chance of finding the photos etc that you have described?, post the names of your family someone may remember them as friends & workmates. Len.

HI Len

Do not think I have not tried to find them Photos, I have been through every box,envelope and suitcase that my mother has at her new home but to no avail.
We suspect that when we were clearing the house etc,one of the neighbours must have thrown the box they were packed in into the skip by mistake and it was only a few months after we realised they were missing.
Dad was known as Ginger Fawkes and no doubt had a few well earned nick names as well:D

Jackie
Just been looking at the lucas site, mom used to work at Marshall lake road, she started during the war when it was the BSA as a Capston lathe setter/operator leaving there in 1950 to start the family,When we had grown up enough she returned to the factory finishing up on the alternator line until retirement, Her name was Pearl fawke and next time I speak to her I will ask her if she has anything.
On the lucas Transport photo ref FR5, the gentleman on the extreme right wearing glasses is my Dad, John "Ginger" Fawke

Coalman - ask your Mom if she knew Eileen McKenzie on alternators.

Bernie d Boult
your name reminds me of the golden Shot on a sunday afternoon :D

Next time I talk to mom I will ask her, was the lady youmention a relative?

coalman, My apologies to you i had got the location wrong, suffered a senior blip, there is still a scrap yard on left hand side of Stratford Rd going towards the City the name escapes me. Len.

Jackie,

Just been having another looking at FR5 photograph where I wold you the man on the extreme front right was my dad, I am sure the guy in the white coat in the front was called Brian Redmond.

Back