• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Sports Ground

No Len, his name was Fox. He used to MC dances and entertainment and well, not sure where but I think it was Shaftsmoor Lane. Did they used to have dances there on some nights.

I remember the Lucas Annual Sports days as my parents, who were both All England qualified netball umpires, used to umpire the netball tournament and later my Mum, who was also the Secretary of the Birmingham Netball League at the time, took over organising the tournament, so my sister and I would go along with them.

I remember the tents with the various clubs and societies as well. My favourites were the audio society, who ran a competition to identify various recordings, and the Amateur Radio tent. I have a 'QSL' card from the 45th Annual Sports Day (GB3LAS) which must have been from 1976. I'll attach a scan of the front and back if the system will allow me to attach two pictures.

I also have photographs, which I took, showing various sports taking place and one of a White Helmet motorcycle rider going through a flaming bail of straw. The White Helmets were sponsored by Lucas at that time, of course. I'll see if I can scan it and post a copy as well.

nishja, Yes they did hold dances at Shaftsmoor & lots of other events such as Boxing, Table Tennis and all kinds of indoor activities. Len.

I am researching Birmingham works sports and wondered if anyone knows where I could see copies of Lucas in house magazine 'Reflection'?
I too remember my boys at Moor Lane having cricket coaching there, in the 70s!

Hi Jennyann

Thanks for that.. I have already tried but no reply yet!
It is a really interesting website which Carl Chinn recommended to me.

hello jennyann, my name is chris dale and i live in north scotland, i m trying to trace anyone who might have known my uncle and auntie who ran the moor lane sports field from the 70s up till the 80s my auntie dided about 1976 but my uncle was there for some time after they were jim and pearl wheeler he was the head groundsman and she did the food in the pavilion helped by a couple charlie and edna as a child i spent my school holidays there with them, o happy days, was friends with charlie and edns son, paul but i never new there surname so cant trace him allthow he would still only be about 55 or 56 if you could help at all i would be very gratfull chris

How these things stick in your memory. I must have been only 8 years old when I can remember going to the Moore Lane Witton ground for the annual sports day. Highlight of the day was watching a man climb a ladder 72 ft aloft and diving into a tank of water that had been set alight with petrol. I do believe the man only had one leg, but I wouldn't sware to that. I know doubt today that would be banned on the grounds of "Health and Safety". Does anyone remember that day, it would have been in 1948 or there abouts.

Alan I'm sure someone will remember this, sounds exciting and like you say health and safety would ban it today!
Sue

I have fond memories of the Lucas Sports day as we would make the walk from our home in Aston and apparently my mom used to enter me in the baby shows but luckily, I can't remember that!

We also enjoyed fantastic Christmas parties at Foremans Road with great presents and shows like the real Sooty & Sweep show.

Last edited:
During the early part of my Apprenticeship at G.E.C. , I played for their rugby team before moving on to the Sutton Coldfield Club.
Our games against Lucas were always very competitive but I always remeber that the sports fields and changing rooms were of a very high standard and the hospitality given by the Lucas players was always something to look forward to.
Mike.

I think it is the piece of land contained between the corner Moor Lane, College Road and the canal, right by the cemetery.

Last edited:
Was this the land adjacent to Moor Lane running past Witton Cemetery.
Can anyone help me with that please.
Birdy.
Here is an aerial view dated 1947 showing army huts on the College Rd end and prefabs the other end. The Lucas Sports Pavillion can be seen on Moor Lane. The Tame Valley canal runs across the centre of the pic.
If you enter "Lucas Sports" in the search and tick Titles only you will find several threads on this subject with lots of comments.
LucasSportsField1947.jpg
from 'britainfromabove'

I remember the Lucas Annual Sports days as my parents, who were both All England qualified netball umpires, used to umpire the netball tournament and later my Mum, who was also the Secretary of the Birmingham Netball League at the time, took over organising the tournament, so my sister and I would go along with them.

It seems I posted as a guest on here about 10 years ago! Now I've registered I'll try and find the pictures that I said that I would try to upload, all those years ago..

I am an ex Lucas Apprentice who served my time at Lucas Fazakerley Liverpool from 1961-66
I remember Lucas Sports Day with happy memories as I belonged to the Apprentice Decathlon Team.
We left Liverpool on the Friday morning and arrived at GKS in time for lunch. Then off to Moor Lane to practice the parade of apprentice schools for the next day.
We where then taken to our Hotel for evening meal and then did what any teenagers did in a strange town on a Friday night went to the nearest pub
After breakfast on the Saturday it was back to Moor Lane for the 4 field event sports ie Shot Put, High Jump, Long Jump. Javelin.
We where then issued with vouchers for food and drink for the day.
At 3 o/clock all other sports where stopped and the parade of the of the Apprentice Schools began, As well as ourselves there where teams from Burnley, Cwbran, Birmingham,Hemel Hempstead,Willensdan and London
after the parade the remaining 6 events took place with plenty of cheering from the crowds
Happy memories ;)
Hi bluesareus, my Dad was also based at Fazakerley in the 1960s but was from Birmingham. His father was head groundsman at Moor Lane and he lived there with his family until 1967!

Back