• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lucas Sports Ground

I have fond memories of the Lucas Sports day as we would make the walk from our home in Aston and apparently my mom used to enter me in the baby shows but luckily, I can't remember that!

We also enjoyed fantastic Christmas parties at Foremans Road with great presents and shows like the real Sooty & Sweep show.

Last edited:
During the early part of my Apprenticeship at G.E.C. , I played for their rugby team before moving on to the Sutton Coldfield Club.
Our games against Lucas were always very competitive but I always remeber that the sports fields and changing rooms were of a very high standard and the hospitality given by the Lucas players was always something to look forward to.
Mike.

I think it is the piece of land contained between the corner Moor Lane, College Road and the canal, right by the cemetery.

Last edited:
Was this the land adjacent to Moor Lane running past Witton Cemetery.
Can anyone help me with that please.
Birdy.
Here is an aerial view dated 1947 showing army huts on the College Rd end and prefabs the other end. The Lucas Sports Pavillion can be seen on Moor Lane. The Tame Valley canal runs across the centre of the pic.
If you enter "Lucas Sports" in the search and tick Titles only you will find several threads on this subject with lots of comments.
LucasSportsField1947.jpg
from 'britainfromabove'

I remember the Lucas Annual Sports days as my parents, who were both All England qualified netball umpires, used to umpire the netball tournament and later my Mum, who was also the Secretary of the Birmingham Netball League at the time, took over organising the tournament, so my sister and I would go along with them.

It seems I posted as a guest on here about 10 years ago! Now I've registered I'll try and find the pictures that I said that I would try to upload, all those years ago..

I am an ex Lucas Apprentice who served my time at Lucas Fazakerley Liverpool from 1961-66
I remember Lucas Sports Day with happy memories as I belonged to the Apprentice Decathlon Team.
We left Liverpool on the Friday morning and arrived at GKS in time for lunch. Then off to Moor Lane to practice the parade of apprentice schools for the next day.
We where then taken to our Hotel for evening meal and then did what any teenagers did in a strange town on a Friday night went to the nearest pub
After breakfast on the Saturday it was back to Moor Lane for the 4 field event sports ie Shot Put, High Jump, Long Jump. Javelin.
We where then issued with vouchers for food and drink for the day.
At 3 o/clock all other sports where stopped and the parade of the of the Apprentice Schools began, As well as ourselves there where teams from Burnley, Cwbran, Birmingham,Hemel Hempstead,Willensdan and London
after the parade the remaining 6 events took place with plenty of cheering from the crowds
Happy memories ;)
Hi bluesareus, my Dad was also based at Fazakerley in the 1960s but was from Birmingham. His father was head groundsman at Moor Lane and he lived there with his family until 1967!

My Grandad Bill Wells was the head groundsman as Moor Lane.. He and his family, including my dad lived in the onsite bungalow from the 1930's until the late 60's.

Peter: Thanks for the link.8)
Aston: Watch out for Ben Derbyshire (Nickname: Dabber):happy:
Margaret: No comment!:bad:
Alf: Although my son can claim some of the credit, it was my grandson who scored the goals !! :rules:
[/QUOTE]
My grandad too cuz xx

It was always an exciting time seeing all the marquees going up in the days before the actual sports day. I remember the arena events, athletics, the narrow gauge railway rides and the ladies shouting and waving handbags at the wrestlers (like they did on the TV in those days).

Back