• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Shaftmoor Lane Branch Works 4

polly kettle

knowlegable brummie
both my parents worked for joseph lucas,can any one remember them.my mom dolly kettle worked at plume st and then at gt hampton st . my dad worked at several of the lucas sites but was killed at work in dec 1966 at the shaftsmoor road site.

Polly Kettle

Hi Polly , was your Father a Machine Tool Examiner in BW4 and was killed in accident on a Power Press?.

Ted Kettle.

H Polly, I was a M/c Toolfitter in BW5, if my memory is good there was a problem on a new Power Press, and the M/C Tool Examiner was doing an acceptance test which Lucas did on all new M/C`s and there was problem with the stroke and he looked into the M/C gap where the press tools go and the ram came down and caused his death, we all knew each other in the different factories, BW3,BW4 and BW5 and we were absolutely devastated when we were told of his death, he was a popular man.

Sad to report

Hello Polly :) & a Very well done to lencops, Excellent stuff m8,,

Polly if you need the details for Death Registration, Sadly, here it is.
Edward L Kettle age 49 Registered B,ham 9c page 48 in
the Jan/Feb/March Quarter of 1967.
Certificate available at B,ham Reg Office (£7)
Best Regards & in Honour to Edward L kettle,
John Y :cool:

ted kettle lucas shaftsmoor lane

dear lencops thanks for the info.i was only 15 at the time and can not remember most of the details.i know it came to court in 1970 .i was an only child so i am trying to fill in all of my family history for my two sons both born in australia.thanks again lencpos for your time and trouble.

Ted Kettle.

Hello again, Polly, do you remember a German born engineer named Herman? but who lived in England he used to come to BW5 and i was always with him when he came to do a m/c service, he always went over BW4 to see your Dad who he refered to as his good friend, he may have visited your house, i think he said he and your Dad had dinner together but it may have been in a restaurant, he came a good while after your Dad had died, i thought he knew, but he did not i told him what had happened and he was in deep shock at what had happened, if i remember any more i will post it. Len.

re ted kettle

hi lencops ,i do remember herman very well he visited our house a few times.i remember asking him how he got "over the wall" and he just laughed.one night we went out leaving the dog in the house,it was bonfire night and the dog chewed up the cushions on the settee.mom,aunty and uncle got back before dad, herman and myself,mom was so upset they quickly got up all the stuffing and uncle bert had to sit on the chewed cushon the rest of the night while herman was there .every time he went to get up to go to the tiolet aunty pushed him back down.i,d never seen my uncle move so fast when herman left.

re ted kettle

hi lencops me again, do you remember i think his name was doug day ,harold mew? and another friend of dads who had a son who was deaf and dumb.dad was involved with the lucas car club.did you ever go,we used to go to cannock chase for the rally and time trials.once a year we would go from snowhill station to prestatin( not sure thats the right spelling) holiday camp with the car club,did you go on these trips?

Polly Kettle.

Hi Polly, No i was not a member of the car club, but i did go to Cannock to watch the Banger & Stock Car racing with my Wife & Son, i will have a think about those other names, and thicko me i have only just realised why you were known as Polly, "Polly put the Kettle on", we used to sing that when i was a kid pre WW2!!, pleased you remembered Herman, his Wife was English and they lived in Cheshire, any more info i will be in touch. Len.

Polly Kettle.

Hi Polly, Did you ever hear the the name- Tony Peckover he was a M/CTool Examiner?, and i think he shared an office with your Dad, Len.

re ted kettle lucas

dear lencops ,i do remember a tony ,did he play cricket or rugby for lucas?.i went alot with my dad to watch various lucas sporting teams.i also went with my uncle to pick up his car from shaftmoor lane when he died and a few men came out to see me and i think one of those was called tony .

Polly Kettle.

I saw Tony at Solihull Hospital, his Wife was having a checkup, and we went through our memories, Tony was an apprentice in BW5 Works Engineers and later in his apprenticeship was put with Ernie Stowe our M/C Examiner, when he finished his apprenticeship he transfered to BW4, he was a cricketer and rugby player i think, he was a very nice young man and was the same way when he got older, i am pretty sure he shared an office with your Dad, Len.

A friend of mine has a plaque from Lucas's which reads;
Wilfred M Archer
25 Years Nov 1961.

I am not sure where it came from but he rescues things from skips and visits a lot of boot sales.

Wendy.

Hi Wendy, Perhaps Mr.Archer died and had no relatives and where he lived was cleared, my Wife has her late Fathers and is proud of it.

Rather%20Not%20Say.gif

02/01/ 2009.

icon1.gif
Redevelopment of Lucas BW3,BW4 & bw5 Factories Shaftmoor Lane. Originally Posted By Jackie Hill, With Thanks to Jackie, Len.
Are you aware the Lucas Factory in Shaftmoor Lane closed last year and there are now aproposed development for this site

Regeneration of the former Lucas/Denso Factory, Shaftmoor Lane Industrial Estate

The opportunity exists to deliver a significant regeneration of the former Lucas/Denso premises Shaftmoor Lane Industrial Estate. This would see the building of new homes and a retirement village together with landscaping and community open space.

CKC Properties, the company behind the proposals, own the site and is currently evolving a planning application for its redevelopment

It is anticipated that a planning application will be submitted to Birmingham City Council by the end of the year

What is proposed??

The site covers just over 5 hectares.

The site is now vacant and is increasingly becoming vandalised and a magnet for anti-social behaviour. it needs to be redeveloped

Proposed development of approximately 180 affordable homes to be operated by a Housing Association. This would provide some new flats but the majority would be family homes with associated car parking and gardens

Development of a Retirement Village to be operated by Extracare. This would provide in the region of 260 units for retired people. Extracare provides a full range of leisure facilities for all its residents together with a restaurant and cafe. Units are available either to rent privately, purchase or on a shared equity basis. Care provided ranges from self-sufficient though to nursing care.

Road access would be provided to the whole of the developement from Shaftmoor Lane

Landscaping and contributions to highways improvements, education and health facilities will need to be discussed with the relevant authorities and will form the basis of any legal agreement with the council

The development would be designed and masterplanned in order to ensure that a quality residential environment is created

Benifits of the proposal

Regeneration of a brownfield site

Provision of much needed affordable homes

Delivery of a high quality retirement Village

Devolopment that is appropriate to a residential area

Sustainable site with excellent acess to the city

YOUR VIEWS COUNT

Please if you have any questions about the proposal or want to give your view either write to
FREEPOST COMMUNITY CONNECT or Email [email protected] If you have any comments or views about this planned redevelopement post them yes or no and any suggestions. Len.

My thoughts on this plan is don`t let the ex-employees of J.lucas be forgotten there are going to be roads and community halls on there, so name them to show the Lucas connection ie- J.Lucas Rd, Starter Rd, Alternator Ave, Dynamo Hall, Aerospace Ave and why not Jackie Rd or Jackie Hill Road who is the Lucas Memories Webmaster and who works so hard to mastermind the site, she has my full admiration and should be given an honour by the Queen. Len.

Thank you Len
My one aim is hopfully to have the LUCAS name used within the new development,there are lots of words that could be added to roads to represent Lucas, The Joseph Lucas Retirement Village would be nice.

I know there are many of the local community that the factory was a part of their lives and I know a lot would like to see the LUCAS name still on the site

I'm aiming high I would like to see a statue of Joseph Lucas maybe in the gardens of The Joseph Lucas Retirement Village
I know Old Joe would have approved of a Retirement Village built on the site, because thats what the Lucas family was about looking after the workforce and the community

Tell us about your memories of the Lane

Back