• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Shaftmoor Lane Branch Works 3

Ann, Thats a shame, it would have been nice to have a cousin named Ann living in Australia, can I adopt you??????????. I am quite clean ( baff twice a year) have all my own teeth ( just finshed paying for them) and at parties its safe to leave me sitting in the corner with my earing aids switched off.
Go on, you know it makes sense!!!!!!!!!!
Regards
(hopefully)
Cousin Danny

Ann, Thats a shame, it would have been nice to have a cousin named Ann living in Australia, can I adopt you??????????. I am quite clean ( baff twice a year) have all my own teeth ( just finshed paying for them) and at parties its safe to leave me sitting in the corner with my earing aids switched off.
Go on, you know it makes sense!!!!!!!!!!
Regards
(hopefully)
Cousin Danny

Oh well, better luck next time, would be cousin Danny.

Regards

Ann

Ann, Thanks anyway, hope you manage to get hold of your real Cousin Dannimac.
Best wishes
Danny

Hello everyone out there who were once Lucas employees,many of my family worked in B3,4,5 i was wondering if anyone knew any of the following,Bill [blackbat] Houston,Jean Grieve,Ann Caudwell,Harry Caudwell and myself Jim Houston.Regards to you all.

Good Morning Jim, You were on the same work bench as Jack Poole and me, just a baby to me and Jack!!! Cheers Len. Photos from your time in Brum.

How did i know that you would be the first to reply,yes Len i was the baby of the bench but i learned a lot from my two masters,nice pictures of Yardley by where i lived in Harvey Rd.Pam sends her love to you and the rose bush is thriving will send you a photo.Up the Mighty Villa,JIM

Hello Len,just read an old thread you replied to about John Biddle,when i was 15 i used to play in the Birmingham Works League for Lucas Shaftmoor lane as a guest player because i didn't work there then.The two full backs in that team were John Biddle and Alan Saville both who went on to referee in the old 1st Division and they worked together in BW3 toolroom.Jim

Hi Jim, Remember both of them, when Alan Saville came into BW5 Works Engineers we all had pieces of Red Card and would shout Off!, Off! at him, his language was colourful!!!. Len. Photos-Alan Saville is on the Lucas Volenteer Fire Land Rover. And even this pic of The Causway has gone now. Len,

hi jackie i worked at bw3 cranmore boulevard for about 13 year till the 80s there was a forman named dennis parkes fat balled nasty man he called us all by our last name he was in the army & said if plan a dose not work you will do plan b would love to know if he is still with us or not please .

My Father worked on BW3 during the 60's & 70's on Starter Motor Assembly. I've seen his picture on a couple of the ones included on the Lucas Memories site, mainly for the Darts Team.

His name is Patrick Thompson.

I worked in BW3 for a very short time when i left school in 1966, spent my time working for Percy Cox in MPD.

My nan worked at Lucas did they do Cycle parts? I just look at a census and it say something about Cycles. My nan was Flora Cox nee harris.

Lucas made lamps, reflectors, Dynamos and many other items for use on bicycles yes.

BernardR

penny, you might like to look at lucas memories there is a direct link to this site on this forum, many intersting pictures of what lucas made, hope this helps you, and welcome to this wonderful forum, kind reguards sidwho

I worked in BW3 for about 12 years leaving in 1990, for most of that time I was a tool setter on the starter armature shafts centre-less grinding section. There were a great many long service people working there and the factory had a good working atmosphere with due allowance for one or two mean spirited types. The last time I drove past the works it consisted of 40 feet high piles of rubble; all those hundreds of people put out of work-a national disgrace.

My mother Carol (nee) Jones worked at Lucas's from 1960-62 in the IBM computer room and she would love to re-connect with anyone who worked there during this time

Last edited:
Back