• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Shaftmoor Lane Branch Works 3

This picture taken by my Grandfather shows a Airship over BW 3, Was it british or German on a spying mission ??.

Hi Louis, Jackie Hill of Lucas Memories website would love this photo as i do its real history. Len.

Last edited:
Len I have the photo Lou sent it to me yesterday. what a brilliant photo

There must still be photos out there, as this photo proves, so come on Lucalites get digging and send them to me

Jackie

Hi Louis.
Difficult to say for definate but it looks very much like a Zeppelin LZ. The only British airship that looked similar was the "R" series such as the R101 but the main visual difference was that the tail fins on the "R" series were pointed where as the Zeppelin had a flattend end to the fin. Your picture, although not that clear when enlarged looks like the fin ends are flat. Hope this helps you.
Chocks

My dad also told the tale when the GRAF ZEPPLIN (EXCUSE SPELLING) came over birmingham. what a great photo, I do hope other members have photos to share on this topic.

Hi, I have a couple of photo's of my Mom when she worked at Lucas in Shaftmoor Lane back in the 60s, one is of her and her fellow ladies in the darts team and a second of her at a presentation ( I presume her retirement). I'd like to put them on this site but want to make sure they go where other people who may be interested can acces them. Any ideas please.
Danny
:cool:

Last edited:
Hi, I have a couple of photo's of my Mom when she worked at Lucas in Shaftmoor Lane back in the 60s, one is of her and her fellow ladies in the darts team and a second of her at a presentation ( I presume her retirement). I'd like to put them on this site but want to make sure they go where other people who may be interested can acces them. Any ideas please.
Danny
:cool:

Hi Danny, Do you have a cousin named Ann living in Australia? regards Ann B

Danny if you scroll down through the Forums you will find one dedicated to Lucas. Also Jackie Hill would love to see memories and photos of Lucas on her Lucas site.

bernie i was just going to say that but i cant find jackies lucas thread...it used to have a permanent place on the home page....i can only see the lucas training video one...mind you me eyes are not what they used to be lol....

Ann, To be quite honest I don't know. My Mom ( Kathleen Ellis formally McDonnell maiden name Hanks) was one of twelve children most of whom survide childhood and some including my Mom (9) had large families and untill recently only met up at funerals. We then had a get together of about 30 cousins at the Stags Head ( Summer Lane-Brealey St) and I didnt know most of them up to that day. Hoping to arrange a further get together soon.Regards
Danny

Ann, To be quite honest I don't know. My Mom ( Kathleen Ellis formally McDonnell maiden name Hanks) was one of twelve children most of whom survide childhood and some including my Mom (9) had large families and untill recently only met up at funerals. We then had a get together of about 30 cousins at the Stags Head ( Summer Lane-Brealey St) and I didnt know most of them up to that day. Hoping to arrange a further get together soon.Regards
Danny

Thanks Danny, I have a cousin living in Brum who is known as Danny Mac and he knows I live in Australia. I had been hoping you were that cousin and had taken an interest in the family history. Oh well, never mind, I live in hope.

Regards, Ann

Back