• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lucas publications

Thank you for the tip. My father worked for Formans Road Lucas for over 40 years and I worked there as a secretary from when I left school until 1961. I've tried Amazon Books, but no good. Any ideas ? :roll:

Thanks Jenny,
Will contact them first thing in the morning. :D

A bit more on the Lucas book

Hi Grace: It's a little bit cheaper ordering from the publisher Sutton Publishing online but I didn't get as far as the postage, etc. List price for retail is l2 pounds- ninety-nine and online eleven pounds- sixty-nine.

Jenny Nicol

Jenny, Couldn't wait until the morning I have already ordered my copy. Price was £11 some pence, postage in the UK free. Not bad eh? Can't wait to get my hands on it. I remember all the Christmas parties when I was small and still own a tiny silver locket given to me as a present. The entertainment was great and all us little monsters had a wonderful time. My dad worked on the shop floor from before the war and was on fire watch during the Birmingham air raids. He worked nights for many years. I joined the company on leaving school and they sent me off to Reddings Lane Lucas to learn shorthand and typing, something that has stood me in good stead over all these years. Now you've set me off down memory lane. Do you have any connection to Lucas? Thanks again for the tip.

My Lucas connection

Good news Grace, that you were able to order the book online from the
publishers and even better that it is postage free in the UK. I will purchase a copy when next I visit Britain in the New Year.

You can read about my connection to Lucas's on this site, in this Forum, under "Factories and Offices". The date would be June l5, 2003.
My mother worked at Lucas's and talked about her experiences quite often.
Among my possessions is a cut glass champagne glass that my mother treasured. It was given to her at Christmas l932 by Miss Blaby her office supervisor.

Lucas in Birmingham

:D Hello Jenny,
Just thought I would let you know that my book arrived on Friday. It's great, full of photographs and information about the various Lucas factories. Unfortunately for me there is not much information about the Formans Road Lucas. Still well worth having though. The service from Sutton Publishing was very quick and efficient.
My father received a bronze plaque on his retirement/long service which my son now owns. I have a smashing photograph of the presentation which Rod is welcome to if he is interested [let me know Rod].
Best wishes, Grace

Pleased

If you want to let us have the picture and maybe a few words which might explain a bit about his working life? maybe. CHEERS TA :lol:

Lucas factory

Hello hmld,
Have a look under "Reference Books" . I obtained my copy of "Lucas in Birmingham" and it's great, well worth the money. :D Christmas parties, wonderful. Still have my tiny silver locket given to me at Formans Road Christmas party in the 1950's.

Lucas in Birmingham

I have a copy of a book called Lucas in Birmingham by Gordan Bunce and forwarded by Carl Chinn.
Gordon as a supervisor at Great King Steet and Shaftmoore Lane, and the book contains some great photos from a lot of the Lucas sights.
I will try and put some of this site as soon as possible.
As Carl says in his Forward " Brummies of all kinds feel a bond with Lucas and have been dismayed to see the great business broken up and its name all but thrust into history "

moocher what a kind offer..i see bob has beaten me to the catalogue but if ever you have anything else to get rid of about lucas company i would be most interested..grew up close to lucas gt king st and a lot of my family including my dad worked there..
my pride and joy at the min is a lovely working cigarette/cigar lighter with the name lucas on the front of it...came out of the boardroom..

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the Lucas in house magazine 'Reflections'?

It used to be full of news and photographs, i wonder when they stopped printing it?

Sadly i threw all my copies away wish i'd hung onto them now.

Hi
Just to say that I am in the middle of writing Lucas - The Company, The People, The Cycle Lamps - 1878 - 1914.
The earliest printed advertisement I have is dated Feb 1882, does anyone have anything earlier? After 1882 the next I have is 1888, but clearly others were printed between these years. Do any exist I wonder. All the best PETER

Back