• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Parties & Pantomimes

Talking of Christmas parties at factories, does anyone remember the ones at the BSA in Armoury Road. My dad worked there, so as a youngster I use to go, and then when I started to work there I use to go along and help out, my brother was then going to them. Then when he came to work there he use to help out as well.

Up to a certain age you had a Christmas present, and then over 11 it was a trip to the panto. Long tressle tables, jelly, sarnies, icecream and cakes, and not forgetting the orange juice,

Lots entertainment on the stage (all this was done in the huge works canteen, and of course at the end Santa came in on his sleigh to lots of cheers from the children.

It was wonderful, I loved it all. I don't know if anyone does that kind of thing now. Think that's why I like helping out a children's parties, it brings back such happy memories.

Love to hear from anyone to went to the BSA parties.

Christina

Thanks for the memories
I went to the xmas parties at Formans road during the 60,s, I had forgotten all about the tickets until now,I remember dad taking me and walking past those 2 green painted telephone kiosks which was outside.
I will never forget the stage and where we all used to sit, and watching the all of our dads line up and one by one the announcer would call out names out so our dads could collect us.
One year I had a carpenters set, I still have the hammer which I still use for tapping in those small pins I have to use around the house occasionly, one of the other kids who used to go there with me was a Kieth Harris, his dad I beleive worked as an electriction at Formans road and I met up with him again when we both worked at Burman Hi -Ton Engineering ltd.

Hello coal man you were a very lucky child to have a lucas party I dont think these parties go on in companies these days, I remember my brother he was 9 and recieved a parker pen and pencil set very grown up I recieved this big box when I opened it . it contained a big yellow lorry and blue plastic sides which you had to assemble obviously not lucas plastics cos they were a bit dodgy, another memory I have is my dad going to a plastic exhibition in london and coming home with loads of samples it was so exciting. there obviously was clear plastic bags floating around formans road cos the old man decided to make home brew and store it in these bags it was a bit of a downer when the contents went swilling down the belfast sink I was seven at the time and could not understand what the problem was. I have since learned the value of hops.
Regards

Hello coal man you were a very lucky child to have a lucas party I dont think these parties go on in companies these days, I remember my brother he was 9 and recieved a parker pen and pencil set very grown up I recieved this big box when I opened it . it contained a big yellow lorry and blue plastic sides which you had to assemble obviously not lucas plastics cos they were a bit dodgy, another memory I have is my dad going to a plastic exhibition in london and coming home with loads of samples it was so exciting. there obviously was clear plastic bags floating around formans road cos the old man decided to make home brew and store it in these bags it was a bit of a downer when the contents went swilling down the belfast sink I was seven at the time and could not understand what the problem was. I have since learned the value of hops.
Regards

The Met Club at Ward End used to have great Chioldren's Xmas Parties. My 2 kids used to go there, and my wife and I would get on the 56 bus and go to town to do our Xmas shopping.

Happy days!

Kind regards

Dave

I remember the Chritmas Parties at Dads works.......Concentric Engineering Priory Rd Aston.......
We would attend the Pantomine at the Rep Theatre......(Alice in Wonderland, Three Musketeers etc).. Then back to the works for afternoon tea,
A prresent from Santa and each child would receive a pack of toffees, an apple and Orange....
Life was much simpler back then....Nice Memories!

my dad worked at lucas aerospace till about 1965 also his mate who was dick eite dick stayed until the end i believe and still lives in shaftmoor lane my dad has sadly passed away anyone remember them

The only party I can recall as a child just before the war was run by the Old Coldstreamers Assc; my dad was a member having served in the
Great War, they used to be held in the Chapel Tavern in Great Charles Street, which was their headquarters. Such a long time ago!!
Bernard

I remember going to Shaftmoor Lane and enjoying the parties. They always seemed to go on forever and then Dad picked us up. Happy das

My dad, Arthur William Cronin, was a toolsetter at Lucas and I well remember Christmas parties at Great King St in the 60's.
A big treat for us kids.

hi jim and welcome to the forum..i too used to go to the lucas christmas parties at GKS round about that time so our paths could well have crossed...they were held in one of the lucas blocks in farm st...where abouts did you live..
lyn

Hi Jim

Have you had a look at the party photos on the Lucas Website

www.lucasmemories.co.uk

There are a lot of photos on there of all the Lucas Factories, iits nice to have a trip down memory lane, you may find a photo of your dad on there

hi jim
i hope you do not mindme asking a personal question but are you in any way connected to the cronin family of monica rdfrom yester years
as i kew the cronin family one in particular was jonn cronin monica rd meaning small heath also my uncle george
worked at the lucas,s for donkeys years he still alive today in is ninetys i beleive he was a tool maker there
is name is georgie jelf ; and i think he caused abit of a row with a security officier over parking up the car park
many years back ;
many thanks also to mention you do not have to answer or not if you aint the same croin family i knew
best wishes astonian;

When I was very young I went to a party at the Rover works.
To keep the kids amused while waiting for Santa to show up, they bundled bunches of them into the back of a (very early model) Landrover and hurtled around the test track with them bouncing about like milk bottles in a crate.
Health and Safety ? Risk Assessment ? Unheard of !

i am new to the forum it looks a good site. i remember those lucas chidrens christmas parties my mom and her sister worked there it would have been in the early 50s the room would be full of kids enjoying them selves my cousin cadeau would have been with me

i went to a couple of these in the early 50's and you always got a good pressie to take home.chinnychin

I used to go to the parties at Foremans Road in the 60s and they had some top acts on for the kids. I met Lenny The Lion with Terry Hall there and they gave me a pack of Trebor mints. My mother may still have a photo.

if your Mom still has some photos and you would like them added to the Lucas Memories Website please let me know and we will arrange to get them, and on the Website

Wilmot Breedon used to put on a very good party in the late 40's and early 50's. I went for about six years on the trot and enjoyed them all. Does this kind of thing go on these days?

My father worked for Birmingham City Transport and then WMPTE. I went to lots of Xmas parties usually at Perry Barrr bus garage. Pantomine and food. I remember a woman playing piano and she was known as the Red Robin.

My sister and I used to go to the Lucas parties in the 1970s and remember getting a present at the end. My dad, Harry Palser worked at the Shaftmore Lane factory for over 30 years.
Gary Palser

Back