• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Parties & Pantomimes

R

Rod

How many Brummie kids out there attended a works Xmas party at Lucas's. I know as a youngster I went to Pantos, and the Circus all organised by Cannings, did Lucas do the same thing? Were you one of those children, or indeed a parent employed by Lucas. We would love to hear from you.

https://www.lucasmemories.co.uk/site/Children/

I used to go the Xmas parties at Lucas!:)The one at Hall Green/Accocks Green, in the late 60s, early 70s!! Can always remember getting a present, a book, "What Katy did".

Christmas Parties at the Serck

I can always remember the Christmas parties at Serck radiators on the Warwick Rd in the 50s and 60s. Sometimes they would take us to the pantomine at the Hipp. Othere times it was a party at the works.
It was always a few weeks after Christmas so we always got a late Christmas present.

i am new to the forum it looks a good site. i remember those lucas chidrens christmas parties my mom and her sister worked there it would have been in the early 50s the room would be full of kids enjoying them selves my cousin cadeau would have been with me

I also went to the Chrismas parties at the lane as my farther worked there in the BW4. Then I ended up working at the BW3 for 35 years as a toolsetter I am now retired due to ill heath.:cool:
www.lucasmemories.co.uk as you know jacke has set up a Lucas site parties ate included BW3 BW4 BW5 and King Street and some other sites also

I was a lucas party goer and also went to the Dunlop parties, my dad worked at Serck Radiators in Greet and also went to one of their Christmas parties. That would have been late 50s early 60s...I must admit the Dunlop ones were by far the best..

:shocked: my father Bill Green played father christmas for lucas' and he still playing it to this day despite taking early retirement i believe it was at great king street although he worked at mere green then gravelly park industrial estate mere green again and finally college road he played father christmas once again at college road 2007
he is always so impressed by the grotto and the scenes leading up to the grotto.
by the way for all you believers of course father christmas still exists he just needs a bit of help from people like my father this time of year because father christmas is really busy :p

I'm glad you reminded everyone that Father Christmas needed his helpers. I could feel my bottom lip quivering for a minute:rolleyes:

Hi rlg1965:

That's quite a record for your Father playing Father Christmas for all those years for Lucas's. I bet he has seen so many changes over the years and good for him turning up over all those years. It's amazing.

I never attended any Christmas Parties at Lucas's. My Mother worked in the office at Great King Street in the early l930's and they had their own special office parties I know.

Having now spoken to my Father I can amend my previous post about Lucas Christmas parties.
My father Bill Green started work at Mere Green in he thinks the middle 70's at the time there was already a " resident " Father Christmas however due to the fact my father had an interest in the film industry ( he worked part time as a cinema projectionist ) and owned a film projector, screen and several childrens cartoons he used to put on films shows for the childrens christmas party at Mere Green.
After a stint working at Gravelly Industrial Park ( no christmas parties there unfortunately :( ) he moved to College Road where he began his career as resident Father Christmas he completed 25 years of playing Father Christmas at Collage Road Christmas 2007 and waits with eager anticipation to see if he asked once again to play the part.

My dad worked in formans rd and we used to go to the lucas parties from the late 60s to early 70s. The excitement started when you recieved an official invitation to the party with a picture of santa on it, without this ticket you werent getting in. They used to be held in early december. first thing you would turn up at formans rd, there would be kids everywhere they would check your tickets and then bring to canteen theatre part and put on a brilliant show then in the interlude you would go into the canteen and have some pop and biscuits or crisps, then when your finished you would head back to the show. I remember they used to have a model of a house beside the stage with a window, outside the window somebody was dropping snow flakes every few minutes it would stop obviously to sweep up and drop again. Any way the highlight of ythe show was when santa would arrive it was so exciting. Then we would all file out and they would have presents wrapped to give to us. These parties were the highlight of the year for us and our family still remember them fondly sadly I dont think many companies would do this for their staffs children these days, anyway Thanks Lucas.

nooneynoo, My son went to the Christmas parties at Lucas Aerospace, Shaftmoor Lane, the parties were just as good as all the Lucas factorys were, can i suggest if you have`t already done so that you send any photos of Formans Rd Chrismas parties or factory to Jackie Hill at website Lucas Memories she will be happy to put them on the site. Len.

Nooney thanks, you brought back some interesting memories as my father worked at Shaftmoor Lane and I attended those parties too! Never realised they were at Formans Road though,.

Malvern, If your Dad worked at Shaftmoor Lane that is where you went to the party. Len.

Hi Malvern

Most if not all Lucas Factories ran a Childrens Christmas party, they all had their own committees and agenda, and I know from email that come in it didn't matter which factory party you went to a good time was had by all
If anyone has photos of themselves or any of their family and would like to put them on the site, please email them to me

www.lucasmemories.co.uk

[email protected]

Jackie

Lucas Childrens Christmas parties, Lucas Aerospace BW5, Shaftmoor Lane although they were on the same site Lucas Electrical BW3 & BW4 held their own Childrens Christmas parties, the photo shows my Son on the far right at the BW5 party circa 1983?. Len.

I remember Lucas Christmas Parties at Formans Road,my Dad worked there on the Batteries for forty odd years,until his retirement in 1968.
My sister & I used to look forward to them & of course seeing Father Christmas, and getting a present.

Midge

Back