• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Labs Research & Development

Hi Maurice, many thanks for the information - the research centre has been in existence for 50 years this year albeit it under Lucas/LucasVarity/TRW Inc/Northrop Gruman/TRW Automotive and soon to be ZF ownership and we are trying to gather some background information about the site and the building so if anyone out there has any related history then I would love to hear from you.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin,

You're welcome. I was in the Accounts Dept, Great King Street in 1959/60 so unfortunately can't help you there!

Maurice

I wonder if anyone has any memories of my dad, Roy Storer, who managed the labs at Shaftmoor Lane from 1963 until 1973. He died very young at 46 so I know nothing about his working life. I used to go to the Christmas parties though!

Welcome Storer. I've added J Lucas to your thread title as it might help people find your query through a search. Be interesting to hear if anyone remembers the labs and can tell us more. Enjoy the forum Storer. Viv.

I worked at a company taken over by TRW in 1998, we eventually ended up at the back of an office by Dog Kennel Lane on the old Lucas Shirley site. We were sold off by TRW/Grumman in 2003. I drove past last week, and most of the buildings at the Shirley site are being demolished, there are already new houses built on the site and a retirement home. The big office facing the Stratford Road has a big sign; ZF where the TRW sign was.

The house where joseph Lucas lived is called 'Hilver' it is in St Agnes road, Moseley.
Sorry that s wrong, Joseph lived at a large house in Trafalgar Road, it was Harry Lucas I think lived there and was named after Oliver AbdUllah in St Anne's Road. I went there a lot working for Lucas Industries in training courses, garden was lovely and I remember a pulpit inside where servants said prayers. It was bought by Dr Bhattacharya eventually who restored it. I imagine its still a private house since his death.

I worked at a company taken over by TRW in 1998, we eventually ended up at the back of an office by Dog Kennel Lane on the old Lucas Shirley site. We were sold off by TRW/Grumman in 2003. I drove past last week, and most of the buildings at the Shirley site are being demolished, there are already new houses built on the site and a retirement home. The big office facing the Stratford Road has a big sign; ZF where the TRW sign was.
I worked for several Lucas sites over nearly 30 years with stints at other companies too, Shaftmoor Lane, York Road, College Road, Mere Green and the technical centre in dog kennel lane too from where I left in July 2015. Some good times and lots good people

Attachments

• TRW Linkedin photo.jpg
    TRW Linkedin photo.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 14
Hear what your saying Sid, probably he might be even happier if it were still British ?

The old Lucas-Shirley place used to be our head office. It was good there - we used to use the Surgery (medical dept) there in the days when the nurses always used the old uniforms - you felt like you were being really cared for. A bit of a different feeling than today. Not sure if that Medical Dept is still there or not. But you could trust the larger (Lucas type) companies to have real good ancillary departments.
I had my new starter medical at BW3 Shaftmoor Lane 1985.

My late brother in law, Ray Orford was a long standing employee of Lucas's research and development headquarters on the Stratford Road Shirley. He was a metallurgist and also union representative for many years. Alas, he only enjoyed three years of retirement when he died aged 68. Question :- Is the R&D Lucas's HQ still there.
it's ZF these days but won't be there beyond 20/21

I worked at The Lucas Research Centre in Shirley from 78 to 83 as an Electrician and I remember Ray Orford .He was a nice man always had time for lots of people, I always remember at Christmas he would have people popping into his Laboratory all day long because he would have a Christmas Punch mixed up in one of his Large Testing Vessels , few people would visit more than once he would always have photographs pinned up in The New Year of his "Lab Visitors".
Did a lot of work for his Union, could you post a photo of him please.Happy memories.Jim

I live near the old Lucas Shirley site.

Not sure how long it is since some of you have seen it but the site has changed dramatically over the last few years, and is still changing.

On the site a hotel has been built, numerous car showrooms, retirement homes, other business buildings etc.

There is a HUGE care home being built right now (see second photo below).

Here is an aerial view of the site from Google maps (slightly out of date). To the left of Porcelanosa Bathrooms a huge care home and is being built (see second photo below).

There is also plans for more housing on the site with a housing company having bought part of the site at the very top of this image.

Lucas.JPG

Below is a view from Google maps of the care home that is being built on the site. This view is about a year old and the building is now MUCH larger.

It is Connaught House and will have 86 suites. Web site here

Lucas 2.JPG

Last edited:
I was at Lucas GRC in 1966 to 68 and met my wife there who was department secretary. She had been in the old research centre in Marston Green before that. I happened to google to see what was happening there now and came across a planning application for last year to knock it all down. Such a shame as it was an iconic building and when we used to visit her parents we saw the changes over the years up to 2013. With the new road layout the building was more prominent and appeared to embrace the roundabout. Reminds me of my home town of Bath where they knock down the wrong buildings and erect trendy ones totally lacking class.

I left ZF as it was after the TRW takeover in 2015 having worked there since 2010. I heard the ZF technical centre as it now is will move to Blythe Business Centre. Pale shadow of Lucas days since I joined the company at Shaftmoor Lane in 1985. Thats progress folks !!

I was at Lucas GRC in 1966 to 68 and met my wife there who was department secretary. She had been in the old research centre in Marston Green before that. I happened to google to see what was happening there now and came across a planning application for last year to knock it all down. Such a shame as it was an iconic building and when we used to visit her parents we saw the changes over the years up to 2013. With the new road layout the building was more prominent and appeared to embrace the roundabout. Reminds me of my home town of Bath where they knock down the wrong buildings and erect trendy ones totally lacking class.
TRW Technical Centre, Shirley, Solihull, as it was in October 2008TRW Shirley 2008.JPG

I worked at Lucas Research in the 70’s and remember Ray Orford well. Nice bloke and spot on in his work. I previously worked in production and returned to it - several posts around the Lucas group in manufacturing related roles. The research centre was a super place to work but I always thought that there was an insufficient relationship between the centre and the world of having to make a profit - maybe that’s why it was so good to work there.

hi

Well what a haul of Lucas Employees. My pension from 1966 to 1070 ex GK St is from Aviva at £16 PA.
In those days you could take out most of the money bar 10/- a week.
My friend David Lacey worked there for years till he left aroung 1982. He was a plastics expert
All our department whats left of it met again for our Xmas do at the Bull in Town.
Happy Xmas and new Years. I think some where in Jackie Hills site.

Mike Jenks
Dave Lacy here Mike, I do remember you. I was at GRC from 1968 - 1975 in the very small Plastics Section within the Metal Shaping Dept. I can recall John Monk in charge of the Plastics section. Also during my approx. 2 years at Foremans Road, Joe Turnbull, Geoff Hill, Harry Proctor, Harry Postans, Keith Warren. Thoroughly enjoyed my time at GRC, and Lucas ,gaining lots of knowledge and experience for my future. Left Lucas in 1975 for a job in the Bedford area, left there in 1987 for new job near Shrewsbury. Still there after many short jobs in Plastics and other ones.

Back